• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex is using my SSN

• Thread starter nightlif3karaok
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nightlif3karaok

i am trying to get a divorce but thing's keep holding it up. My soon to be ex has been using my social security number to purchase thing's with, i am not sure when she used them if it was before i filed for divorce or after but now after almost 2 years i am getting bill's for thing's like he cell phones and such and all of a sudden the bill's are coming addressed to me and they have been turned into collection's when i called about these bills they said that they where in my name and had my SSN so that i am responsible for them. is she legally allowed to use my SSN and if so can i get my number changed to stop her or should i press charges or can i press charges against her?

kat1963

Must be something in the air that allows people to think they can get away with this. The only experience I have is that biotroll tried to pull the same thing on me, but it didn't work, the cc refused to prosecute since she didn't get anything (they called to confirm my change of address..yeah RIGHT). HOWEVER, a new developement is that biotrolls husbands ex has now found 2 cc on her report (trying to buy a house). She asked for copies of the signed contracts (biotroll obviously signed them and they were sent to biotrolls address) with this information she went to the police department. I haven't found out yet what the outcome will be...please repeat after me "jail time, jail time, jail time" *LOL* Ask for copies of the contracts, then work from there...wish I knew what other advice to give you, but I'm sure others will step in to help you with this mess. Makes you want to scream doesn't it?
KAT

FoggyDew

Clean up your credit

Here is a GREAT website (http://www.budhibbs.com) to help you clean up your credit, dispute items/contracts, deal with collection agencies, etc. I recommend taking the time to read his free book (online) and take a bunch of notes! My Ex did the same thing, and it took a lot of leg work on my part, but I managed to get it all cleared up and now run regular credit reports to see if he is up to his old shenanigans! Good luck and stick with it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">