• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-wife didn't refinance now in foreclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SadieBuggs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
My husband got a call from his ex-wife yesterday saying her house was being foreclosed on and, oh yeah, by the way, he's involved because she never refinanced and his name is still on the mortgage. My husband was neglectful in the divorce. He was in the Navy and was stationed in Maryland. The divorce was filed in Arizona. He couldn't be there and didn't have an attorney and she really took him to the cleaners. At the time he was dispondent and just wanted it to be over so he signed the papers. That was 4 years ago. As I said, my husband was neglectful. He believed the court system had taken care of everything. He didn't read any documentation or follow up. He signed papers that were mailed to him and just assumed that it was over. He's as much at fault as she is. My question is, how can we fix this mess? We own a home in Maryland, have good jobs and are financially secure. I don't want this to kill our credit rating or indanger our jobs--we both hold security clearances for our jobs and they look at financial stuff like that when they investigate you for your clearance. I had recently been suggesting that my husband take his ex-wife back to court, with the aide of legal representation this time, to have some of the divorce stipulations revisited. Guess it's a little too late for that...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He needs to file a motion to show cause if the wife was to be financially responsible for the house. He also needs to work with the mortgage company and NOT ignore the foreclosure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">