• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex wife has filed bankruptcy....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CB1122

What is the name of your state? GA

I just found out that my ex wife has just finalized her bankruptcy case. I had no idea she was filing for bankruptcy. The only reason i found out was when i recieved a letter in the mail from a bank saying that i was pass due on 2 loans. I never had any loans with this bank so i called and talk with the finance manager. I found out then that my ex had been using my name to get these loans! We filed for divorce on July 21, 2004. She got one loan (signature) for $2000 on August 24, 2004. Then got another one for $4,700 on September 10, 2004. The divorce was finalized on September 8, 2004! How can she do this! Then she got another signature loan for $1000 on November 10, 2004. This loan just was added to the previous sign. loan. I asked how the bank could have allowed this even though i was not present and never signed for any of these loans. He told me that in 2003 i had sign a piece of paper for a savings account that my ex and i had, and that my signature was not needed again unless it was a major loan e.g. car, house, etc... Is there any thing i can do? I thought the divorce decree stop this kinda of thing. Is there any legal actions i can take towards my ex?

LdiJ

CB1122 said:
What is the name of your state? GA

I just found out that my ex wife has just finalized her bankruptcy case. I had no idea she was filing for bankruptcy. The only reason i found out was when i recieved a letter in the mail from a bank saying that i was pass due on 2 loans. I never had any loans with this bank so i called and talk with the finance manager. I found out then that my ex had been using my name to get these loans! We filed for divorce on July 21, 2004. She got one loan (signature) for $2000 on August 24, 2004. Then got another one for $4,700 on September 10, 2004. The divorce was finalized on September 8, 2004! How can she do this! Then she got another signature loan for $1000 on November 10, 2004. This loan just was added to the previous sign. loan. I asked how the bank could have allowed this even though i was not present and never signed for any of these loans. He told me that in 2003 i had sign a piece of paper for a savings account that my ex and i had, and that my signature was not needed again unless it was a major loan e.g. car, house, etc... Is there any thing i can do? I thought the divorce decree stop this kinda of thing. Is there any legal actions i can take towards my ex?
I think that you should talk to an attorney...ASAP. I think that the bank is playing games with you. Unless your state has really wierd laws I cannot imagine how signing an application for a savings account could make you liable for loans taken out by your ex after you filed for divorce. It sounds to me like the bank manager is trying to cover his butt by intimidating you into paying for loans that are not your responsibility. However you MUST get it straightened out legally before it ends up on your credit report...which is why you need legal help FAST.

This is in Idaho, but if you signed any loans and your ex took them over in the divorce you are still liable, but if you did not sign the actual loan paper I would fight them. My ex bought a new truck, let them reposses it, then filed bankruptcy. She signed my name to the contract, after we were separated and not living together. I proved my case to the bank after Well's Fargo bought out First Security, by my notorized signature and 5 copies of checks to them to prove my signature. Good Luck.

cc423

Did you open an equity line of credit loan against your home to which she was also in title?
No matter what kind of loan it was, you need to head back to court. If she did not list you or that bank in her bankrupcy discharge, then she's not off the hook. The only creditors off the hook are those listed on the final discharge. Any loans taken out AFTER the bankruptcy was discharged she is liable for anyway.
A filing of bankruptcy doesn't allow someone to just keep racking up bills all over town after the fact.
If she wasn't authorized to sign on that account, you have some criminal charges and a really lousy bank who should go get the $$ from her themselves.
Also, if she's that crafty, check all your credit cards and make sure she doesn't have duplicate cards.

Cronny

Dude, she has committed fraud whether you were married or not. Unless she had a power of attorney, she cannot obligate you to a loan. You could have her arrested. In any case, you are not liable for any of the debts. You need to tell the bank to quit bothering you and none of this better be on your credit report.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">