• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Wife keeps taking husband to court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mzlepley

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
My husband's exwife has contested decisions made in their divorce for the past five years-all the way to the state Supream court (which supported all prior court decisions with a few minor alterations). Her family is wealthy and legal fees are of no consequence. She claims to make 7k a year-but has easily spent over 200k in legal fees.

We have mortgaged our home and are in dept to pay off all of the legal fees. Is there anything we can do to stop her constant legal actions? Every legal decision that was made she has not complied with (split personal belongings, sell home, etc) yet nothing is ever done to enforce.

She recently appealed to the courts with no notice to my husband his military retirement which was ruled to be split and now she gets about 75%.

It is a nightmare that is financially ruining us. She has also pitted the children against my husband-but recently they have started to tell her to stop bad mouthing them.

Every chance she and her family get they take my husband to court (more child support, college money, etc). My husband was laid off and is still paying over 3k a month in support.

Can we stop the sport litigation?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
My husband's exwife has contested decisions made in their divorce for the past five years-all the way to the state Supream court (which supported all prior court decisions with a few minor alterations). Her family is wealthy and legal fees are of no consequence. She claims to make 7k a year-but has easily spent over 200k in legal fees.

We have mortgaged our home and are in dept to pay off all of the legal fees. Is there anything we can do to stop her constant legal actions? Every legal decision that was made she has not complied with (split personal belongings, sell home, etc) yet nothing is ever done to enforce.

She recently appealed to the courts with no notice to my husband his military retirement which was ruled to be split and now she gets about 75%.

It is a nightmare that is financially ruining us. She has also pitted the children against my husband-but recently they have started to tell her to stop bad mouthing them.

Every chance she and her family get they take my husband to court (more child support, college money, etc). My husband was laid off and is still paying over 3k a month in support.

Can we stop the sport litigation?
Probably not. Our system allows people almost unlimited access to the courts.

You can, however, ask the court to make her pay your legal expenses if she is making frivolous filings.

Also, if your husband was laid off and has no income, he should immediately file for a change in his support order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">