• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex won't refinance...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cjm0616

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

My Significant Other and I are planning on purchasing a home in the next year, but he is still on the mortgage with his ex wife. Neither of them had lawyers when they divorced. It was an uncontested divorce. He wanted to get everything over with and gave her everything she wanted, including things he had before they were married, and signed a quit claim deed. The quit claim deed was addressed in the divorce papers, removing him from financial responsibility was not.

For the last year he has talked to Countrywide and her. She refuses to refinance because she thinks there is about $10k negative equity. Countrywide has stated they've sent her notices about refinancing, which we have a small amount of proof of, because we have access to the web pay portion of their website and we have notes from them often. We know she is paying on time and has not defaulted (THANK GOD!!). They bought the house in September 2006, so it is very likely that there really is little/no/negative equity with our economy. She has since moved her new boyfriend into the house.

In an email we kept saved in his email account and have a printed copy with the "details", where she says "I took the house, the good and the bad. You have no right to it..."

1. What can we do to force her to refinance?
2. Because of that email, will we be responsible for the negative equity if there is any?
3. Can we have Countrywide do an appraisal since she is so unwilling?
4. If agreed upon/can a judge force to her to quit claim him back onto the house as half owner so we don't get screwed if she dies. I know legally, depending on her will, she can let her new guy or parents have the home without having any financial obligations for it...and we'll be stuck with the payments.

Silverplum

My Significant Other and I are planning on purchasing a home in the next year, but he is still on the mortgage with his ex wife. Neither of them had lawyers when they divorced. It was an uncontested divorce. He wanted to get everything over with and gave her everything she wanted, including things he had before they were married, and signed a quit claim deed. The quit claim deed was addressed in the divorce papers, removing him from financial responsibility was not.

For the last year he has talked to Countrywide and her. She refuses to refinance because she thinks there is about $10k negative equity. Countrywide has stated they've sent her notices about refinancing, which we have a small amount of proof of, because we have access to the web pay portion of their website and we have notes from them often. We know she is paying on time and has not defaulted (THANK GOD!!). They bought the house in September 2006, so it is very likely that there really is little/no/negative equity with our economy. She has since moved her new boyfriend into the house.

In an email we kept saved in his email account and have a printed copy with the "details", where she says "I took the house, the good and the bad. You have no right to it..."

2. Because of that email, will we be responsible for the negative equity if there is any?
4. If agreed upon/can a judge force to her to quit claim him back onto the house as half owner so we don't get screwed if she dies. I know legally, depending on her will, she can let her new guy or parents have the home without having any financial obligations for it...and we'll be stuck with the payments.
We who?

HE needs an attorney to straighten out his mess.

cjm0616

We who?

HE needs an attorney to straighten out his mess.
This mess affects me also. I'm living in an apartment rather than the house I want because of this.
I'm the one who deals this kind of thing. He's computer illirate (sp?) and doesn't have a clue where to start.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
This mess affects me also. I'm living in an apartment rather than the house I want because of this.
I'm the one who deals this kind of thing. He's computer illirate (sp?) and doesn't have a clue where to start.
Actually no. There is NO WE. None. This is HIS mess. You chose to become involved but it is still only between him and his ex.

cjm0616

Actually no. There is NO WE. None. This is HIS mess. You chose to become involved but it is still only between him and his ex.
Okay then.

Where does HE need to start with this.

Ya'll could answer the questions rather than get lost in semantics...as an idea.

Silverplum

Ya'll could answer the questions rather than get lost in semantics...as an idea.
We DID answer the questions.

WE can't do a thing.
HE must take care of his mess.
HE needs an attorney.
WE cannot file anything on HIS behalf.
WE cannot force HIS X or HIS bank or HIS mortgage company to do anything.
WE will not be stuck with payments. HE might be.

See? You know much more than you did before. Questions answered.

seniorjudge

He needs to hire a lawyer.

This will require a partition lawsuit.

The court will literally sell the place on the courthouse steps. He, you, me, anybody can buy it.

The lawsuit will take three years (if quick) and cost $30K if cheap.

cjm0616

Now those are answers. Telling me it wasn't my issue to deal with was not.

Thank you so much for your help.

LdiJ

She couldn't refinance right now if she wanted to. Not with negative equity. There is absolutely no one that would give her a mortgage right now. Therefore no one can force her to refinance.

You can't order an appraisal on a house that you do not own.

Yes, because your husband is on the mortgage he would be held responsible for negative equity, should she default and the lender foreclose.

No, a judge can't force her to quit claim half the property to him.

Your husband messed up. He basically deeded the house over to her but agreed to continue to be responsible for the mortgage. At this point she probably won't be able to refinance for several more years, at best.

She could not will the house to someone else leaving your husband responsible for the mortgage. The house can't change hands (to someone not on the mortgage) without the lien to the bank being satisfied.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">