• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Won't Sign Title - What Can Be Done?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeremydenhartog

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

Ok, here's a brief background on the situation....my wife's ex-husband and my wife purchased a trailer home approximately 10 years ago together (obviously they were married at the time). Both of their names are on the title for the trailer home. Approximately 5 years ago they got divorced. In the divorce papers there is nothing mentioned about who gets the trailer home. However, he moved all of his stuff out prior to the divorce (and stole some of my wife's things when he moved out...but thats a whole different matter). Now to our problem, we are in the process of trying to sell the trailer home in question but he refuses to sign the title over (probably because he's thinking he'll get half of what it's sold for). Is there anything that can be done to prevent him from getting half? If not, can he be forced to pay his half of lot rent and trailer payments for the last 5+ years? Any help would be appreciated...

Ozark_Sophist

As opposed to him charging you rent for the past five years? I think the ex is entitled to a portion of the proceeds because legally, he still owns half--regardless who made the payments.

jeremydenhartog

As opposed to him charging you rent for the past five years? I think the ex is entitled to a portion of the proceeds because legally, he still owns half--regardless who made the payments.
In essence, I have paid 'rent'. I paid his half of the trailer payments and lot rent and taxes for most of the last 5 years as he has not paid a dime...

Ozark_Sophist

I wrote that to express the situation from another perspective. For example, were the payments fair market rent? The ex does not have to pay the rent or trailer payments for the past five years because someone else did. Had you not paid, he would have been on the hook. However, he is still half owner to the property.

This is something that should have been settled in the divorce. You need to sit down and figure the finances. How much are you selling the trailer for? If you have to take this to court (which you will unless you buy the ex out), what will the legal expenses be (considering the likelihood the court will give the ex some money for equity), and whether it might just be cheaper to offer the ex some money.

nextwife

In essence, I have paid 'rent'. I paid his half of the trailer payments and lot rent and taxes for most of the last 5 years as he has not paid a dime...
He is half owner. If his wife had use of the property, and he did not, then she making the payments is not unreasonable. She certainly could have addressed it in the divorce,, and bought out his half interest at the time in exchange for full ownership. She did not, now she wants to sell something for which she only owns half. As owner, he is entitled to payment on his half interest when sold.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">