• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex won't take their name off house title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeffdn1969

What is the name of your state?IL

I was divorced about 8 years ago and was granted 100% of the house in the Divorce Decree - My ex signed over the title to myself and I mailed it into the courthouse but they never received it and I do not have a copy! My ex will now not sign another (quitdeed?) and I am being forced to take him back to court in order to force him to title over the house - My question is does he have any legal standing even though the divorce decree states I get 100% of the house - Please advise

Thanks!

jeffdn1969

Mortgage Answer

The house was refinanced in my name - However, the title still has his name on it - Since the divorce he has never paid for maintance of the house or made any mortgage payments - The divorce decree clearly states that I get sole position of the house -

Thanks

skyspirit

Here's an idea...

jeffdn1969 said:
The house was refinanced in my name - However, the title still has his name on it - Since the divorce he has never paid for maintance of the house or made any mortgage payments - The divorce decree clearly states that I get sole position of the house -

Thanks
Take a CERTIFIED copy of your divorce papers to your county Auditor's office. Sometimes they serve as the same as a quit claim. That should be proof enough (How I did mine). Be prepared tho, it costs a few hundred dollars...or it did in Ohio.

If that doesn't work, contact your attorney and find out what your options are without a quit claim. Also, check the file at your court house to see if there's a copy of the signed quit claim in it...

Just some suggestions.

Good Luck!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">