• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exorbitant legal fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vitiro

Washington

I just received a bill for $1200 and it seems way too high, I am going to talk to the lawyer on Monday but would like to know if anyone else thinks this is wrong.

Here is the short version, I was dating a very crazy girl. She was threatening and extorting me to stay in her life and not break up with her. I gathered tons of emails, voice mails and attempted to make a peaceful resolution over many months. did not work.

About a month ago I filed an anti-harassment NCO on her, 4 days later she filed domestic violence NCO on me saying that I pushed her last last summer. So I was served with the 2 week temp order.

I prepared my defense by myself, went to court two times and she had a lawyer. Her lawyer requested continuances for 30 days, I objected and but they were granted. I showed her lawyer all of my evidence and it was overwhelming.

Her lawyer asked if i wanted to settle out of court with a joint NCO filed with the court so we can go our separate ways. I was exhausted by the whole court process so said I will look at it but would like my lawyer to look at it first.

Her lawyer prepared it, they sent it to my lawyer and he said it was garbage, I should go to court and will win, finish it once and for all. My evidence was very strong don't even negotiate with them.

I gave him my entire case that I prepared, highlighted emails and voicemails, he said this is really good. I had outlines, timelines and what i wanted to say.

Day of court her lawyer try's to negotiate with us to drop everything. I say I do not want to do that. She comes back with the joint NCO and tells him that all of my evidence was filed in the wrong way and procedure was not correct. He tells me that I should take the deal because this could take months. She can object to everything. I said so you are recommending that I now settle? He says yes, so I am bummed but take it.

I just got a bill for 1200, 6 hours of work at 200 per hour. He spent 5 hours reading my emails and preparing, 1 hour in court.

We never even discussed money, I never signed anything. I got so into the case when I was talking to him that I did not even think about it. I am not saying I am not gonna pay him but I would think something like this would cost $600.

LdiJ

Washington

I just received a bill for $1200 and it seems way too high, I am going to talk to the lawyer on Monday but would like to know if anyone else thinks this is wrong.

Here is the short version, I was dating a very crazy girl. She was threatening and extorting me to stay in her life and not break up with her. I gathered tons of emails, voice mails and attempted to make a peaceful resolution over many months. did not work.

About a month ago I filed an anti-harassment NCO on her, 4 days later she filed domestic violence NCO on me saying that I pushed her last last summer. So I was served with the 2 week temp order.

I prepared my defense by myself, went to court two times and she had a lawyer. Her lawyer requested continuances for 30 days, I objected and but they were granted. I showed her lawyer all of my evidence and it was overwhelming.

Her lawyer asked if i wanted to settle out of court with a joint NCO filed with the court so we can go our separate ways. I was exhausted by the whole court process so said I will look at it but would like my lawyer to look at it first.

Her lawyer prepared it, they sent it to my lawyer and he said it was garbage, I should go to court and will win, finish it once and for all. My evidence was very strong don't even negotiate with them.

I gave him my entire case that I prepared, highlighted emails and voicemails, he said this is really good. I had outlines, timelines and what i wanted to say.

Day of court her lawyer try's to negotiate with us to drop everything. I say I do not want to do that. She comes back with the joint NCO and tells him that all of my evidence was filed in the wrong way and procedure was not correct. He tells me that I should take the deal because this could take months. She can object to everything. I said so you are recommending that I now settle? He says yes, so I am bummed but take it.

I just got a bill for 1200, 6 hours of work at 200 per hour. He spent 5 hours reading my emails and preparing, 1 hour in court.

We never even discussed money, I never signed anything. I got so into the case when I was talking to him that I did not even think about it. I am not saying I am not gonna pay him but I would think something like this would cost $600.
Honestly? 1200.00 is pretty inexpensive...200.00 an hour for an attorney is quite low.

mistoffolees

You could think whatever you'd want. You'd be wrong.

You got off cheap. I paid $350 per hour. And 5 hours of prep and 1 hour of court isn't much at all. I've never had the desire to add up what mine actually cost, but I'm sure it's north of $10,000 - and I got off easy, too. We got a very favorable custody evaluation and my ex dropped all of her silliness almost overnight. It could have been several times that.

Vitiro

The thing is I do not feel he did anything at all. I negotiated to a dual no contact order before he was brought on the case. He sold me saying this is a slam dunk and I will win mine side and she will lose. That sounded good.

He talked to her lawyer on the phone and could not come to an agreement. Then in court he talked to her for 5 minutes and she convinced him to settle. If he would have presented my case to the judge that is one thing but that did not even happen.

Vitiro

And dont Lawyers usually say, so this is gonna cost you about 1200 bucks or I charge 200 per hour?

I do IT support and if I do a job I tell the customer how much its going to cost or give them an hourly rate.

mistoffolees

And dont Lawyers usually say, so this is gonna cost you about 1200 bucks or I charge 200 per hour?

I do IT support and if I do a job I tell the customer how much its going to cost or give them an hourly rate.
You could argue that you didn't retain the attorney, but that argument goes away as soon as you let him appear with you in court. By doing so, you acknowledged that he was representing you.

It's not hard to run through 5 hours on paperwork, phone calls, etc. If he actually had discussions with the other attorney and appeared in court, it is very unlikely that the time was inflated. He should have given you a detailed bill which says how the time was spent. If not, ask for one.

He probably IS in violation of legal ethics by not providing you with an hourly rate, but since his fee is quite reasonable (and since he could say that he told you but you must have missed it - and this might even be true), I don't think it's going to get you anywhere.

Pay the bill and learn from it. Next time, find out what you're in for. But meanwhile, it sure doesn't look like he's being unreasonable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">