• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex's last name?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Dakota/Texas

This has nothing to do with me, so leave me out of it please. My husband got divorced from his ex 5 years ago. He has begged and pleaded with her to change her last name, he dont want her to have HIS name anymore. We dont like getting the law involved but we might have to. Is there a way that she has to change it?

TinkerBelleLuvr

This has nothing to do with me, so leave me out of it please. My husband got divorced from his ex 5 years ago. He has begged and pleaded with her to change her last name, he dont want her to have HIS name anymore. We dont like getting the law involved but we might have to. Is there a way that she has to change it?
The funny thing is that it is now HER name. He gave it to her when they married. She will NOT be required to change HER name. Now, if he really doesn't want to share a name with the X, he is more than welcome to change HIS name legally.

Nope, if she doesn't want to change it, NO ONE will MAKE her change it. Besides, it probably matches the last names of the children, no?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

As you were told whether he dont want her to have HER last name or not dont matter. But, if he is TRULY the one trying to impose his will on others, you sound like a perfect match.

BlondiePB

Sure, just get cousin Vinny to do it. :cool:

Proserpina

The funny thing is that it is now HER name. He gave it to her when they married. She will NOT be required to change HER name. Now, if he really doesn't want to share a name with the X, he is more than welcome to change HIS name legally.

Nope, if she doesn't want to change it, NO ONE will MAKE her change it. Besides, it probably matches the last names of the children, no?
I believe that's the part OP is really bugged about....if Mom changed her name, dear Dad and stepmom here would be the only ones sharing their last name with Mom and Dad's kids ;)

Hisbabygirl77

That has never crossed my mind. Like I said this is NOT about me.

Seriously? Another post? Anyway have you ever thought about those step kids you love so much? I kept my first husbands name when we divorced because my children wanted to have same last name as me. When I remarried I hyphened my ex's (now mine) last name with my current husbands name that way all my kids had my last name in one way. When my husband adopted my kids I changed my last name to just my husbands and now we all have just one last name. Maybe just maybe mom wants to have same last name as kids for either their benefit or because it cuts down confusion with school/drs and such ANY REASON she has though is none of your or your husbands business it is her name now.

LdiJ

No, there is absolutely, positively no way whatsoever that she has to change HER last name, and no judge on the face of the earth has the authority to make her change it. Period...point blank.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">