• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex's Loan in My name, Anyway to break this tie to him?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

Hey all I'm asking this on behalf of a friend. She took out a loan for 7,000$ in her name to pay for her bf's comptia computer training (which he just stopped going to). It's in her name because his credit sucks. Then they broke up a year or so later. He's been making payments, but only 60$ a month. At this rate it will take forever to pay it off and half the money is lost to interest.

Is there any way for her to put the debt on him so that she can move on?
If she takes him to court will they just tell him to pay her?
They have proof because he's got one of the the certs he enrolled for and all kinds of records with the school.
Or is she just SOL?

Golfball

SOL, probably.

You do not indicate if the signer and the signer's X were even married or not. If they weren't married, definitely SOL. If they were, what does the divorce decree say?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

Hey all I'm asking this on behalf of a friend. She took out a loan for 7,000$ in her name to pay for her bf's comptia computer training (which he just stopped going to). It's in her name because his credit sucks. Then they broke up a year or so later. He's been making payments, but only 60$ a month. At this rate it will take forever to pay it off and half the money is lost to interest.

Is there any way for her to put the debt on him so that she can move on?
If she takes him to court will they just tell him to pay her?
They have proof because he's got one of the the certs he enrolled for and all kinds of records with the school.
Or is she just SOL?
People have a funny idea of what constitutes proof.

How does his enrollment document prove that SHE paid for it? More importantly, how does it prove that he agreed to pay it back?

(Assuming that the two never married): If she has a loan document signed by him agreeing to pay it back, then she can enforce it. If not, she's lucky to be getting $60 per month.

She COULD suggest to him that he's going to get it paid off a lot earlier if he pays back more than $60 per month, but that's about all she can do.

I have a funny idea of proof?
You have a funny idea about assuming, and I'm not fond of what it does to both of us. I never said there was proof an an agreement to pay her back.

There is proof that the loan is in her name, because well, it is. There is proof that the money was utilized by him because well, it was. The loan is through sallie mae, who paid the school. There's a direct trail. If she took out a loan to just give him money to live off of, I think it would be a lot harder to even say that the money was used by him.

anyway, no they weren't married.
I'm not sure if there was an agreement signed.
I don't think she could even cosign since his credit was so bad.
I guess she's sol.

Sadly i guess this means the ex is stuck around.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">