• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

extortion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yanmar

What is the name of your state? Alabama

My ex is accusing me of applying for credit for her in her name. She claims she received a call from the mortgage company stating that she applied on line to refinance the house that is still in both our names (I was stupid and and signed a quit claim). I did go online to check that the payments are being made, after all, if she does not pay, I get foreclosed on too. I also checked to see if I would qualify for a loan on my own. When I went through that process it showed both of us, I clicked and had my name removed, thinking that this would be appropriate since, I am not living there and the divorce decree declares that she is solely responsible for the mortgage. Well apparently what happened is the program went through and pre-qualified her for a loan.

Now she calls me and says that she has talked to her attorney, says that what I did was a federal crime and she supposedly has filled a complaint with the local police. She then says that she is sending me a letter declaring that I remit within 14 days for medical bills for our son. Some of these bills are over 6 months old. She also told me to return my sons 4-wheeler (actually mine), so she may sell it to help pay for his car. I asked her if she is going to refinance, (I have been asking her for 4 months). I was polite and told her that I want to get on with my life, want her to be happy, but I need off the mortgage, since I cannot buy a house with this debt load. She said we all want something, if she gets what she wants, she will drop the complaint and will look at refinanceing. Is this extortion or blackmail? What legal grounds does she have for filing a complaint. Help please, I just want to get on with my life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">