• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exwife not paying her loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tpamommy

What is the name of your state? FL

My husband co-signed a studen loan for his ex when they were married. They divorced shortly after that. The divorce judgement specified she was responsible for paying it back, it included the dollar amount of the loan at that time. The loan is now deliquent and they are calling us to pay because he's the co-signer. We're not really sure what to do. Are we to send copies of the divorce papers to the Credit Bureaus and to the Loan creditor? Any advice would be appreciated.

TY!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? FL

My husband co-signed a studen loan for his ex when they were married. They divorced shortly after that. The divorce judgement specified she was responsible for paying it back, it included the dollar amount of the loan at that time. The loan is now deliquent and they are calling us to pay because he's the co-signer. We're not really sure what to do. Are we to send copies of the divorce papers to the Credit Bureaus and to the Loan creditor? Any advice would be appreciated.

TY!
Your husband could certainly put a note on his credit report regarding this.....but unfortunately the creditors are not bound by the terms of the divorce decree. They are bound only by the terms of the loan contract. Therefore, they have every right to go after your husband for repayment.

He can also take his ex back to court for contempt, but that's not necessarily going to save his credit if she doesn't have the money to pay the loans.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He is going to have pay on the loans AND take her to court for contempt. And sue for the amount he has paid towards the loans since the divorce.

tpamommy

Okay, I paid it, grudgingly. Would you all go back to my DH's original D attorney, or does it matter? I'm assuming it will need to be a D attorney?

TY!

Gracie3787

Okay, I paid it, grudgingly. Would you all go back to my DH's original D attorney, or does it matter? I'm assuming it will need to be a D attorney?

TY!
He doesn't have to use an attorney since everything will be easy to prove. He can file a motion for civil contempt. The form can be found at www.flcourts.org. The form has several places that can be marked for what the party is asking the court to order. He should mark the one for reimbursment of payments made.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">