• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fair & Impartial....I don't think so.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

faithremoved

What is the name of your state? Illinois
A judgement was recently made in my divorce....which is to say that we went to trial and a judge made every decision in regards to my divorce.

I had copies of everything....my ex had copies of nothing.
My ex lied several times....I was 100% honest.
My ex took over $15000.00 out of our shared savings account and moved the monies from account to account until it couldn't be found. I had every bank statement and credit card receipt from the date I moved out of the house to prove that we had no credit debt when I left, yet my ex ran up several credit cards and paid the minimum payments for three years and now I am responsible for 60% of it. During those three years, I paid the mortgage and childsupport. I was told that in the divorce process, both parties ask for everything and hope they get something in the middle....everything my ex asked for she got....EVERYTHING.

Our first judge suggested that we are each responsible for the bills we have incurred since the seperation and suggested we split everything else 60 (me) 40 (her) and suggested 400.00 per month maintenance for 7 years.

A new judge was assigned to our case and made the final judgement. Now I have to pay all of my own expenses and 60% of her expenses (which include her 40% contribution to my daughters tuition which she charged) plus 1200.00 a month maintenance for life, plus I have to pay half of her legal fees. My divorce took over 3 years and I don't think the judge looked at one piece of evidence. How can there be such a huge difference in rulings between two judges? The law should be the law and there shouldn't be a difference...especially such a huge difference.

I was informed, that if I appeal it will cost me tens of thousands of dollars, and that judgements are rarely overturned in an appeal. Does anyone review a judges ruling to ensure he or she is being fair and impartial? Who does the judge report to? What laws did he follow to come to the decisions he came to? What does an honest man need to do to ensure he is treated in a fair and impartial manner in the state of Illinois?What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Illinois
A judgement was recently made in my divorce....which is to say that we went to trial and a judge made every decision in regards to my divorce.

I had copies of everything....my ex had copies of nothing.
My ex lied several times....I was 100% honest.
My ex took over $15000.00 out of our shared savings account and moved the monies from account to account until it couldn't be found. I had every bank statement and credit card receipt from the date I moved out of the house to prove that we had no credit debt when I left, yet my ex ran up several credit cards and paid the minimum payments for three years and now I am responsible for 60% of it. During those three years, I paid the mortgage and childsupport. I was told that in the divorce process, both parties ask for everything and hope they get something in the middle....everything my ex asked for she got....EVERYTHING.

Our first judge suggested that we are each responsible for the bills we have incurred since the seperation and suggested we split everything else 60 (me) 40 (her) and suggested 400.00 per month maintenance for 7 years.

A new judge was assigned to our case and made the final judgement. Now I have to pay all of my own expenses and 60% of her expenses (which include her 40% contribution to my daughters tuition which she charged) plus 1200.00 a month maintenance for life, plus I have to pay half of her legal fees. My divorce took over 3 years and I don't think the judge looked at one piece of evidence. How can there be such a huge difference in rulings between two judges? The law should be the law and there shouldn't be a difference...especially such a huge difference.

I was informed, that if I appeal it will cost me tens of thousands of dollars, and that judgements are rarely overturned in an appeal. Does anyone review a judges ruling to ensure he or she is being fair and impartial? Who does the judge report to? What laws did he follow to come to the decisions he came to? What does an honest man need to do to ensure he is treated in a fair and impartial manner in the state of Illinois?What is the name of your state?
You are asking us to comment on the judge's ruling, when we don't know the critical facts of the situation that were in front of the judge.

The length of your marriage, and your income vs hers are two very critical issues....the property division matters...its a whole complicated process...ALL of the facts matter.

Its possible that your judge could have made an error of law (which is what it takes to be successful on appeal) but we have no way of knowing that because we don't know the facts of your case.

faithremoved

Errors of Law

Married 20 Years
Ex-wife worked part time, which caused a lot of turmoil in our marriage. I paid for her to take classes so she can get a full time job...did not (does not) want to work full time.
Ex-wife claimed she had a back problem which prohibited her ability to work full time. No evidence was brought to court on this issue. In short, yes I make a more money than she does (90k vs 25k), HOWEVER, she is capable of making more but did not at the time of our divorce so she can get more from me.
Property was divided 60/40....she received 60%, I received 40. She received 60% of all assets while I received 60% of all debt and expenses.

The issue that I have, is that the judge did not look at the facts of the case. There was no professional medical testimony....just her word that she has a bad back. He based his judgement on believing her lies. He allowed her to max out credit cards and make me 60% responsible for the payment of her debt. It was agreed that I would pay 60% of my daughters tuition and my ex would pay 40%....so she charged her 40% and now I have to pay 60% of her 40% plus 60% of the interest fees on the credit card.

Is it possible for you to provide me with some examples of "errors of law"? I don't know what to look for?

I sincerely appreciate your feedback.

LdiJ

Married 20 Years
Ex-wife worked part time, which caused a lot of turmoil in our marriage. I paid for her to take classes so she can get a full time job...did not (does not) want to work full time.
Ex-wife claimed she had a back problem which prohibited her ability to work full time. No evidence was brought to court on this issue. In short, yes I make a more money than she does (90k vs 25k), HOWEVER, she is capable of making more but did not at the time of our divorce so she can get more from me.
Property was divided 60/40....she received 60%, I received 40. She received 60% of all assets while I received 60% of all debt and expenses.

The issue that I have, is that the judge did not look at the facts of the case. There was no professional medical testimony....just her word that she has a bad back. He based his judgement on believing her lies. He allowed her to max out credit cards and make me 60% responsible for the payment of her debt. It was agreed that I would pay 60% of my daughters tuition and my ex would pay 40%....so she charged her 40% and now I have to pay 60% of her 40% plus 60% of the interest fees on the credit card.

Is it possible for you to provide me with some examples of "errors of law"? I don't know what to look for?

An error of law is a ruling that is contradictory to established law. So far you haven't given us anything that indicates that the judge made an error of law.

An example of an error of law would be if the judge refused to allow you to present your evidence.

I think that you need to be getting your answers from a local attorney who can view everything.

Bali Hai

Married 20 Years

I seriously doubt there were any mistakes of law. You simply got a jackass judge with alot of discretionary power and the bonehead favors women.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">