• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this Fair for Ohio?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

z00

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Here's my situation:

Married 18 years in Ohio.
Separated (living separately) last 2.5 years, but not a court ordered separation.
Husband has provided complete support over last 2.5 years.
Wife does not work and has not worked during marriage, but is attending college and is now a junior.
Husband works and makes approx $94,000
Three children involved. One will be emancipated in 12 months.

Wife's lawyer says:
$1100 month in child support for next 12 months.
$890 month in child support after 12 months when one child emancipates.
$2250 month in spousal support for 70 months starting now.
Wife keeps home worth $100,000 that has approx $45,000 of equity in it.
Husband will take on 66% of debit. Close to $55,000 not including home mortgage.
Wife's lawyer says this was calculated with "fin plan" software and court will take it without question.

Does this seem right? I have talked to someone that went through a very similar situation and earns about same money and pays only $500 month in spousal support after bankruptcy where all assets (home) were lost and debit was zeroed. Three children were involved and child support was set very close to $1100.

I offered $1450 in spousal support for 45 months as a balance against home, debit and support for last two years. Keeping child support at suggested levels.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? Ohio

Here's my situation:

Married 18 years in Ohio.
Separated (living separately) last 2.5 years, but not a court ordered separation.
Husband has provided complete support over last 2.5 years.
Wife does not work and has not worked during marriage, but is attending college and is now a junior.
Husband works and makes approx $94,000
Three children involved. One will be emancipated in 12 months.

Wife's lawyer says:
$1100 month in child support for next 12 months.
$890 month in child support after 12 months when one child emancipates.
$2250 month in spousal support for 70 months starting now.
Wife keeps home worth $100,000 that has approx $45,000 of equity in it.
Husband will take on 66% of debit. Close to $55,000 not including home mortgage.
Wife's lawyer says this was calculated with "fin plan" software and court will take it without question.

Does this seem right? I have talked to someone that went through a very similar situation and earns about same money and pays only $500 month in spousal support after bankruptcy where all assets (home) were lost and debit was zeroed. Three children were involved and child support was set very close to $1100.

I offered $1450 in spousal support for 45 months as a balance against home, debit and support for last two years. Keeping child support at suggested levels.
Do you have an attorney? IF NOT GET YOURSELF ONE! NOW! Child support is normal. That is approximately what you will pay for that IF your wife is not imputed an income. You need to see if this is imputing your wife with a minimum wage income. You are also entitled to approximately half the equity in the house. And she is entitled to half the marital debt. Fin Plan is the software used and some courts MAY go with that plan. I could imagine one county right off the mark doing that. Other counties would not do that. Get yourself an attorney to look at all the numbers and run them through fin plan and go from there.

LdiJ

Do you have an attorney? IF NOT GET YOURSELF ONE! NOW! Child support is normal. That is approximately what you will pay for that IF your wife is not imputed an income. You need to see if this is imputing your wife with a minimum wage income. You are also entitled to approximately half the equity in the house. And she is entitled to half the marital debt. Fin Plan is the software used and some courts MAY go with that plan. I could imagine one county right off the mark doing that. Other counties would not do that. Get yourself an attorney to look at all the numbers and run them through fin plan and go from there.
I agree if there are not any other assets being factored into the equation. However I suspect that there is a 401k or potentially other assets being factored in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">