• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fake Marriage-want to get out of it!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ij5413

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I got married last week for convinience of getting a greencard. I have decided I dont want to continue with it because it is unlawful. Can i get out of that fake marriage. Also I've been trying to get hold of the person i married to but i could not find her. It looks like she is nowhere to find now after getting the money i paid for. I dont want to continue applying for immigration because I cannot find her now. Can someone help me what are the consequences I will be facing. Can i get the marriage annuled? thanks for your response.

AHA

No one gets a green card simply by marriage to a USC. Both have to be interviewed and prove life together to the "INS".

The penalty for this fraud is a couple of hundred thousand $'s in fine and possible prison time for you and deportation for her.
I don't know what she paid you, but in my opinion no amount is worth the above.

If you did have the interview you would have had to submit an affidavit of support(saying you will financially support her) that is valid for a looong time, so any government benefits she will apply for and get, you will have to pay back.

Find out from where you registered the marriage(county clerk?) the requirements for an annulment.
If you did submit the affidavit of support, I'd write the "INS" and withdraw it, but there's always a risk the fraud will be exposed and consequences from that.

You made a major mistake doing whaat you did for some cash, hopefully you'll learn from it and not do it again. Money won't get you everything.

nextwife

Oh, yeah, one more thing. If she goes and gets pregnant you, because you are the husband, are legally the father. If she gets benefits like welfare YOU will be paying the state back. Once you divorce her, you would have a CS order until the child is grown.

Try for an annulment on the basis of abandonment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">