• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

family court vs civil court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikenmoe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? michigan law
my exwife and I have unresolved medical/activity bills that we were suppose to work out on our own and not involve the Friend of the Court. I am now back in court getting custody of last child and she wants lawyers to work out unresolved bills which was not brought up in my original motion. The bills will probably break even and I cant see paying my lawyer$225/hour-of coarse he wants to get invloved with this issue and make some $. Cant I take this to a civil court and sue my ex wife if she doesnt agree to call it even? I believe she is trying to get sympathy from the court. She owes me over $3000 in back child support and will have to start paying me future support. My lawyer states "we are not likely to get anything resolved through a civil court"Please help any advice is appreciatedWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? michigan law
my exwife and I have unresolved medical/activity bills that we were suppose to work out on our own and not involve the Friend of the Court. I am now back in court getting custody of last child and she wants lawyers to work out unresolved bills which was not brought up in my original motion. The bills will probably break even and I cant see paying my lawyer$225/hour-of coarse he wants to get invloved with this issue and make some $. Cant I take this to a civil court and sue my ex wife if she doesnt agree to call it even? I believe she is trying to get sympathy from the court. She owes me over $3000 in back child support and will have to start paying me future support. My lawyer states "we are not likely to get anything resolved through a civil court"Please help any advice is appreciatedWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Your lawyer is right. The unresolved medical/activity bills are a family law issue, not a civil issue. (although family law by nature is civil law)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">