• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father is forcing my mother to stay in their marriage.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I probably should say their assets not ours, but it is the family house, the family business, the family farm. I know my mom and dad paid for it all and its all theirs, I don't want to end up with it. My family is not poor or anything, my mom has money to talk to lawyers. I just feel that it is unreasonable that my dad can say he wants cash, when what we have around building and buisnesses. Maybe he is just lying and he cant really do that.

Does everyone see what I am saying here, my parents don't have a ton of cash, but they do have a large amount of money is assets, like buildings and a super nice home. Is it legal for my dad to say he want out of the marriage and just wants to take his half in cash, so we have to sell the home we live in, the farm we visit and the business that provide both my mother and father with their income. So basically my mother would lose everything she worked for and have to start over with a check for half her life value.

Pleaser understand, I am not out to get their assets, if I misword anything here, its just because I am flustered about the situation.
Of course it's legal.

If you don't like the fighting and/or Dad's behavior, you are more than welcome to move out of your parents' home. Your brother can do so either when he turns 18 or your parents allow him to move elsewhere. Your Mom is also free to move out, consult with an attorney and/or file for a divorce herself. It is not unusual for the side who wants to maintain ownership of real assets to have to buy the other party out, or have the real property put up for sale. Dad is well within his rights to insist on liquidating the real assets. Whether he gets what he wants is really up to the judge.

At the end of the day, all that you can do (apart from the afore-mentioned moving out) is provide your Mom with the names of divorce attorneys, help her make an appt, help her pay and/or take her there. That;'s it. Otherwise, you are not a legal party to their (potential) divorce and really have b\no voice at all how their assets are split.

Silverplum

Its my dad constantly fighting and nitpicking at her in front of us, its like he wants us to see that he is torturing her, I feel like if you all could here the way they fight you would understand. She doesn't talk to me about it much and when I ask she says it is not as big of a deal as I am making it and they are trying to work it out. She doesn't know I am on here asking you guys this, she is trying to do what is right, I am just looking for advice,
We don't need to understand. This is a legal site: you wrote, we answered. You need to stay out of their marriage.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Its my dad constantly fighting and nitpicking at her in front of us, its like he wants us to see that he is torturing her, I feel like if you all could here the way they fight you would understand. She doesn't talk to me about it much and when I ask she says it is not as big of a deal as I am making it and they are trying to work it out. She doesn't know I am on here asking you guys this, she is trying to do what is right, I am just looking for advice,
Then you should respect your mother enough to abide by her wishes instead of splattering her personal business on the Internet.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Believe me, I understand far, far better than I wish I did. That doesn't change a word of my answer.

Proserpina

Hire her an attorney.

There is absolutely no reason why this thread should continue.

Gratefully

If you can't mind your own business (as requested by your mother) then maybe you ought to move.

When exactly did my mother request me mind my own business? I don't live here for financial reasons, I live here on their request. Are you trying to help?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
When exactly did my mother request me mind my own business? I don't live here for financial reasons, I live here on their request. Are you trying to help?
At this point, I think you should go and pay a lawyer to ask questions on your mother's behalf. S/he will gladly take your money and then tell you what we have - it is NONE of your business!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Apparently, you can't read between the lines. Telling you that it's not as bad as it seems and that they are working things out is code for mind your own business.

Just Blue

Thanks for your help man, appreciate your take on it. Either my mother needs to fix it herself or she is incompetent and I should just keep my nose out of it. I don't feel like this is you actually trying to help me, more of trying to get me to piss off.

Like I said before, if this is not the place for this or I should discontinue posting, please tell me. Or perhaps some of you would know a different outlet for this?
www.drphil.com

Eekamouse

Get a grip, kid. If they divorce, they WILL have to split their assets and that likely will involve liquidating some of their holdings. That's what happens in a divorce. Your dad can act any way he wants to. It's his house. Your mom can act any way she wants to. It's her house. If you don't like the atmosphere, move out on your own.

TigerD

Greed is a powerful motivator.

It makes people do all kinds of things and stay in all kinds of situations.

Think about it.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">