• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fee Settlement Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scottsweet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I completed my divorce proceedings. I owed my attorney some money. I asked for a reduction in the fee and he asked me to send him an agreement on what I could afford. In the agreement, I told him what I thought was a fair and final agreement along with the payment schedule I could do. He never responded.

I began making payments based on the agreement and have not missed any payments.

Since I began making the payments and I never received a response from my attorney, does that constitute an agreement from him of my offer?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I completed my divorce proceedings. I owed my attorney some money. I asked for a reduction in the fee and he asked me to send him an agreement on what I could afford. In the agreement, I told him what I thought was a fair and final agreement along with the payment schedule I could do. He never responded.

I began making payments based on the agreement and have not missed any payments.

Since I began making the payments and I never received a response from my attorney, does that constitute an agreement from him of my offer?
It does not constitute a formal, enforceable agreement. It may however mean that your attorney will not come after you for any balance remaining after you pay what you agreed to pay.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It does not constitute a formal, enforceable agreement. It may however mean that your attorney will not come after you for any balance remaining after you pay what you agreed to pay.
I wouldn't count on it. She owes what the engagement and fee agreement she originally signed says she owes. And he can enforce that. The attorney apparently doesn't agree with OP's terms and why should the attorney?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">