• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Feel Like a Hostage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JayI

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Just this month I filed Divorce and sent the papers to Ohio, where my wife ran off to with my children 4 years ago. She replyed to me by email that she will not sign the papers till I am carring health insurance on the kids.
I am currently unemployed. I was court order to offer insurance with child support 4 years ago because at that time I was then working at a job offering insurance. But since have been laid off and can't afford insurance. Which I have also already filed a child support modification, but it hasn't yet come to surface with the courts to provide a court date for that yet.
Can she withhold the Divorce over this? :confused:
I feel like I'm being held hostage in this and her demands before she signs the papers keep increasing. How can I stop this... Can't I force a divorce since it's been 4 years in seperation with just one signature, and a judge.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

Just to clarify:

You are in Florida, and your children are in Ohio with their mother and have been for several years.

What is the current custody status?

When did you last see your children?

What court orders are in place?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Just this month I filed Divorce and sent the papers to Ohio, where my wife ran off to with my children 4 years ago. She replyed to me by email that she will not sign the papers till I am carring health insurance on the kids.
I am currently unemployed. I was court order to offer insurance with child support 4 years ago because at that time I was then working at a job offering insurance. But since have been laid off and can't afford insurance. Which I have also already filed a child support modification, but it hasn't yet come to surface with the courts to provide a court date for that yet.
Can she withhold the Divorce over this? :confused:
I feel like I'm being held hostage in this and her demands before she signs the papers keep increasing. How can I stop this... Can't I force a divorce since it's been 4 years in seperation with just one signature, and a judge.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You can force a divorce but FLORIDA does NOT have jurisdiction over the children most likely. What court orders are in place for the children? Your wife NEVER has to agree to a divorce. A judge can still order it.

JayI

Thanks for the replys

Since she lives in Ohio I haven't been able to see my kids in 2 years.
There is an child support order established 4 years ago.
A Modification of the child support order has been filed.
We have agreed on visition for me, but is unable to get up there to see them with my current employment status. I spend my days pounding the streets for jobs, but as you know with this econony I can't get any work. I have no issues in carring insurance on them, and will once I can get a job that carries it. But till then this Divorce has to happen... I have Narcolopsy, she is telling my kids how awful of a parent and am and when I do try to talk to my children they talk to me with disrespect (my Bio child age 7 is the puppet, speaking exactly what her mother is there telling her to say), belittling me as thier mother does. Emotional stress puts me in the Narcolopsy attacks. Since I can't carry insurance I have no medication to control this so in order to get a job I have to shread as much stress as possible. Since I've already applied for the child support modification, now its onto the Divorce and her list of demands keep increasing. must carry the insurance on the kids, must send proof the the 401k is no longer active, An old car that broke down and the local police said to move it or have it inponded, I had no choice to donate it since I couldn't afford to fix it so she wants proof of that. Which I have! But right now I can't afford health insurance. I just want out of this nightmare so I can then focus on my relationship with my children, not agrue and fight with their mother demanding all the attition.
Oh I should tell you I've applyed for a simple divorce... No demands on Shared custody, because I knew she wouldn't have it. Once again I just want out! Theres nothing but that car of property, so I have no issue in sending her the proof of the donation. Nothing I want more than just a signature. JUST WANT OUT OF THIS MARRIAGE! Should also tell you she's carring insurance on the kids through her employment.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Since she lives in Ohio I haven't been able to see my kids in 2 years.
There is an child support order established 4 years ago.
A Modification of the child support order has been filed.
If you wanted to see your children you would have done something to make sure you could have seen your children.
We have agreed on visition for me, but is unable to get up there to see them with my current employment status. I spend my days pounding the streets for jobs, but as you know with this econony I can't get any work. I have no issues in carring insurance on them, and will once I can get a job that carries it.
So why don't you look for a job in OHIO? Near your children?
But till then this Divorce has to happen...
Why? Does your girlfriend want to get married?
I have Narcolopsy, she is telling my kids how awful of a parent and am and when I do try to talk to my children they talk to me with disrespect (my Bio child age 7 is the puppet, speaking exactly what her mother is there telling her to say), belittling me as thier mother does.
Your BIO CHILD? How is that respectful? You are not a good parent if you have not made strides to see them in two years and haven't been sent to war. You are an absent parent.

Emotional stress puts me in the Narcolopsy attacks. Since I can't carry insurance I have no medication to control this so in order to get a job I have to shread as much stress as possible.
OH then you are NOT taking care of yourself. There are various programs that could help you get medication.

Since I've already applied for the child support modification, now its onto the Divorce and her list of demands keep increasing. must carry the insurance on the kids, must send proof the the 401k is no longer active, An old car that broke down and the local police said to move it or have it inponded, I had no choice to donate it since I couldn't afford to fix it so she wants proof of that. Which I have!
She has a right to all of that.

But right now I can't afford health insurance. I just want out of this nightmare so I can then focus on my relationship with my children, not agrue and fight with their mother demanding all the attition.
But you haven't been giving the attention to your children. YOU are the ONE giving attention to their mother.

Oh I should tell you I've applyed for a simple divorce... No demands on Shared custody, because I knew she wouldn't have it.
FLORIDA does not have jurisdiction over child custody. You waited far too long for that. Unless of course mom consents.
Once again I just want out! Theres nothing but that car of property, so I have no issue in sending her the proof of the donation. Nothing I want more than just a signature. JUST WANT OUT OF THIS MARRIAGE!
And SHE does NOT have to give you a signature.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">