• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A few divorce questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Temporarily anyway...
Depending on how long the marriage and wife's income and his income, he might be paying lifetime alimony. Which could be seen as making him responsible for the mortgage -- and in fact, I have seen judges order that the payor pays the mortgage as alimony.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Depending on how long the marriage and wife's income and his income, he might be paying lifetime alimony. Which could be seen as making him responsible for the mortgage -- and in fact, I have seen judges order that the payor pays the mortgage as alimony.
(shhhhhh)
You're going to rile up Bali...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
(shhhhhh)
You're going to rile up Bali...
Dang... I will go back to talking to Yousef -- he apparently got the death certificates of his parents from the Iran State Department even though they died in Los Angelos -- so California reports deaths to all different countries now? :rolleyes:

Bali Hai

Is that actually possible that a judge could do that? Even if im not even on the loan??
Divorce 101: The judge has broad discretionary power in these matters. This is your second divorce?

You quite frankly need a lawyer to represent you based on the demeanor of your previous posts. If your judge gets a taste of that, you will actually find out what is possible for the judge to do. Take that advice from someone who experienced it first hand.

Lucky for you that you're in Texas where one doesn't mess with a mans hat, boots, gun or woman....in that order.

LdiJ

I don't disagree with that, but that is not the judge making the person responsible for the debt, that is the judge being practical and specifying how the alimony should be spent. That does not give the creditor any ability to go after the person for the debt. That only gives the debtor the opportunity to go after the other party if the debt isn't paid.

In addition, if the person owing the debt dies, then the person responsible for the alimony is off the hook...unless perhaps there were arrears owed to the estate of the person who died.

Proserpina

Divorce 101: The judge has broad discretionary power in these matters. This is your second divorce?

You quite frankly need a lawyer to represent you based on the demeanor of your previous posts. If your judge gets a taste of that, you will actually find out what is possible for the judge to do. Take that advice from someone who experienced it first hand.

Lucky for you that you're in Texas where one doesn't mess with a mans hat, boots, gun or woman....in that order.

In other words, one doesn't mess with Annie Oakley...

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">