• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A few questions...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdrummer5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My wife and I were married 3/29/08. After about 7 months I was miserable, I didn't cheat or anything like that but did explain to her that I am no longer in love with her...I'm now trying to file for a dissolution and based on some of her recent actions I'm concerned that she will try to come after me for spousal support. Is that even possible since we were married less than a year?

Also...I stayed with my mother leaving her in the house (still paying the mortgage) she moved out at the end of december taking several things that didn't belong to her but leaving the washer and dryer she intends to get back. Do I have any legal rights to keep them?

Lastly...one of the things she took was a Nintendo Wii...mind you I don't care about the video game but I was going to sell it to pay for the application fee to refi the mortgage to get her name off it...she is blackmailing me saying she'll give it back when I get the care refinanced to get her name off of it which I'm signing for tomorrow...isn't that illegal?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My wife and I were married 3/29/08. After about 7 months I was miserable, I didn't cheat or anything like that but did explain to her that I am no longer in love with her...I'm now trying to file for a dissolution and based on some of her recent actions I'm concerned that she will try to come after me for spousal support. Is that even possible since we were married less than a year?

Also...I stayed with my mother leaving her in the house (still paying the mortgage) she moved out at the end of december taking several things that didn't belong to her but leaving the washer and dryer she intends to get back. Do I have any legal rights to keep them?

Lastly...one of the things she took was a Nintendo Wii...mind you I don't care about the video game but I was going to sell it to pay for the application fee to refi the mortgage to get her name off it...she is blackmailing me saying she'll give it back when I get the care refinanced to get her name off of it which I'm signing for tomorrow...isn't that illegal?
The house is marital property. The Wii may be marital property. Both of you are acting like idiots. And if you can't agree about this stuff how are you going to do a dissolution which requires you both to AGREE upon everything?

mdrummer5

The house is marital property. The Wii may be marital property. Both of you are acting like idiots. And if you can't agree about this stuff how are you going to do a dissolution which requires you both to AGREE upon everything?
Wow come here for advice and get insults...I understand marital property...we've agreed that I will get the house...and as far as the Wii I don't care, I just want to know if it's legal for her to try to use it to blackmail me...for someone who doesn't know the whole story and is trying to insult my intelligence you didn't read very well. You didn't answer any of my questions. Let me break it into a simpler format...

1. does she have any right to alimony and will she be likely to get it?
2. is what she's doing with the Wii considered blackmail?

I know that nobody here is obligated to respond but if you're going to please take note: If you have a problem answering due to lack of comprehension or because your perception leads you to believe that I'm an idiot don't bother responding.

Silverplum

Quoting is good.

Wow come here for advice and get insults...I understand marital property...we've agreed that I will get the house...and as far as the Wii I don't care, I just want to know if it's legal for her to try to use it to blackmail me...for someone who doesn't know the whole story and is trying to insult my intelligence you didn't read very well. You didn't answer any of my questions. Let me break it into a simpler format...

I know that nobody here is obligated to respond but if you're going to please take note: If you have a problem answering due to lack of comprehension or because your perception leads you to believe that I'm an idiot don't bother responding.

mdrummer5

Brilliant AND mature Silverplum...anyone have anything to add that is useful...or is everyone on this forum so full of themselves that they can't appreciate that someone being ignorant to divorce law doen't make them an idiot?

Silverplum

Brilliant AND mature Silverplum...anyone have anything to add that is useful...or is everyone on this forum so full of themselves that they can't appreciate that someone being ignorant to divorce law doen't make them an idiot?
We quote here frequently.

RRevak

Being ignorant of Divorce law doesnt make them an idiot. What DOES make them an idiot is marrying someone that 7 months later they decide they're no longer in love with. The last time I checked two people didnt get married unless it was for better or worse or until death did them apart?? Or are those parts optional hehe....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

mistoffolees

You've been married less than 2 years. Alimony isn't very likely. You may end up paying temporary support while the divorce is pending if she asks for it and your income is much higher than hers.

The Wii is probably marital property (unless it was a gift). That means it's as much hers as it is yours. She can hide it, offer to sell it or anything else. The only issue is dissipating marital assets. If she sells it, the proceeds need to go into a joint account. She can not sell it to a friend for $0.01, for example. But she's not going to get in trouble for not letting you have it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Try comprehending yourself:
NO WHERE in that paragraph did I say you were an idiot. I said both of you were ACTING LIKE idiots. And quite frankly pretty much every judge in Ohio would agree with me on that. I can just about guarantee it. NO JUDGE in ohio is going to waste their time deciding your piddly arguments over stupid stuff. If you want a dissolution you need to agree upon everything. If she wants alimony and you don't want to pay it THEN FILE FOR DIVORCE.

Now can you comprehend? Or do I have to speak in only one syllable words?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You've been married less than 2 years. Alimony isn't very likely. You may end up paying temporary support while the divorce is pending if she asks for it and your income is much higher than hers.

The Wii is probably marital property (unless it was a gift). That means it's as much hers as it is yours. She can hide it, offer to sell it or anything else. The only issue is dissipating marital assets. If she sells it, the proceeds need to go into a joint account. She can not sell it to a friend for $0.01, for example. But she's not going to get in trouble for not letting you have it.
She may get alimony in for two months. How long are they going to fight over it? For six months to stretch this out? During which nothing gets settled and if it goes to divorce someone will hire an attorney -- if not both -- and then they will have their attorney fight over the Wii, the tupperware and every other little piddly stupid thing. At which point their attorneys will think they are both acting like idiots.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">