• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FHA Refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nickicole

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My divorce was final in 2001. After purchasing a home and then refinancing it, I have now found there is a undispersed refund due from the escrow accounts when my husband re-financed our home. The escrow account was collected while we were married.

Because my ex-husband was listed on the mortgage, his name will be on the refund and require his signature as well.

I would like to know the best way to handle this. We did not end on good terms and have not spoken since our last court date. On one occasion I tried contacting him for old tax documentation and his attorney called me stating if I continue to harass his client legal action would be pursued. (And he wonders why I wanted a divorce? LOL)

Thank you in advance for your response(s)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Because the refinance is from when you were married that is a marital asset and should be divided equally between the two of you. Contact his attorney and tell him you have money that is for the two of you and need to contact him about getting his portion. Or hire an attorney to do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">