• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fiancee wants to divorce criminal hubby

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jimskier

My fiancee is 35 years old, was married at the age of 17 in California. Within a year, she left her husband and moved across the country. Since then, he has been and is currently in prison in California. She and I currently reside in Indiana, and we want to get married but are unsure of the laws in California on annullment and Divorce. I have heard of "common law Marriage", but can she claim that she is no longer married considering she has had no contact with this man for 18 years?
Jim

LegalBeagle

jimskier said:
My fiancee is 35 years old, was married at the age of 17 in California. Within a year, she left her husband and moved across the country. Since then, he has been and is currently in prison in California. She and I currently reside in Indiana, and we want to get married but are unsure of the laws in California on annullment and Divorce. I have heard of "common law Marriage", but can she claim that she is no longer married considering she has had no contact with this man for 18 years?
Jim
No. She has to obtain a legal divorce. Retain a Family Law Attorney in Indiana.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">