• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fighting divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wannaBwife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new york state
My husband wants a divorce, I do not (we need much counseling before making this deicision, he is resistant). If he files, what it the order of events? Is my signature required before filing in court? If I am served with papers and ignore and do nothing, what happens?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new york state
My husband wants a divorce, I do not (we need much counseling before making this deicision, he is resistant). If he files, what it the order of events? Is my signature required before filing in court? If I am served with papers and ignore and do nothing, what happens?
If you "ignore it" and do nothing you will get nothing and he will get everything he asks for. You can't force him into counseling. You can't force him to be married to you.

wannaBwife

Thanks for your direct though somewhat condescending reply. Of course, I can't make him be married to me. I was asking about the timeline and sequence of events if he engages an attorney. My goal is to stall or prolong the process until we both have had more time to cool off and address our differing view and definitions of (his) infidelity, then hopefully decide to seek counseling instead of jumping in to mudslinging and dividing property.

LdiJ

Thanks for your direct though somewhat condescending reply. Of course, I can't make him be married to me. I was asking about the timeline and sequence of events if he engages an attorney. My goal is to stall or prolong the process until we both have had more time to cool off and address our differing view and definitions of (his) infidelity, then hopefully decide to seek counseling instead of jumping in to mudslinging and dividing property.
I would consult with a local attorney, however I will tell you that not cooperating with the process generally just ends up adding serious legal expenses for both of you. And hoping to delay it, by ignoring it will end up biting you in the butt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">