• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fightinng a pre;nup

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chiefkea

state of Hawaii.would signing under duress(day before wedding) or failure to disclose entire income grounds for voiding pre-nup?If not what are valid grounds to throw out pre-nup? help! please

Last edited:

mistoffolees

Your post doesn't give enough information but yes pre-nups can be fought.
However, OP needs to realize that 'I was planning a wedding the next day and didn't want to disappoint anyone so I signed the prenup' probably doesn't meet the legal definition of duress. Many people confuse 'pressure' with 'duress'.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Were you given the opportunity to take the pre-nup to YOUR attorney for review? I know there is something about pre-nups having to have independent attorney reviewing. Getting the prenup the day before the wedding probably didn't allow for that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
However, OP needs to realize that 'I was planning a wedding the next day and didn't want to disappoint anyone so I signed the prenup' probably doesn't meet the legal definition of duress. Many people confuse 'pressure' with 'duress'.
However prenups cannot be signed the day before the wedding and be found to be completely upheld. That IS a reason for them being struck down. Also not being informed of all financial information at the time of the prenup is another valid reason for the contract being voided.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">