• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filed for divorce but changed my mind. How do I stop the divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I filed for divorce in Texas. My husband and i went to mediation and worked out an agreement, that we both signed. My atty signed but his atty had to leave and returned to mediation center later the same day to sign the agreement. My atty prepared the final dovorce decree, and with hesitation I signed the divorve decree but my husband refuses to sign the decree. We have not been to court yet and the decree has not been presented to the court. We dont even have a court date yet. For religious reasons im having second thoughts about going through with the divorce. How do i back out of it? My husband will probably refile the divorce but it would then be on him not me. Is it possible to stop the divorce?? Please help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I filed for divorce in Texas. My husband and i went to mediation and worked out an agreement, that we both signed. My atty signed but his atty had to leave and returned to mediation center later the same day to sign the agreement. My atty prepared the final dovorce decree, and with hesitation I signed the divorve decree but my husband refuses to sign the decree. We have not been to court yet and the decree has not been presented to the court. We dont even have a court date yet. For religious reasons im having second thoughts about going through with the divorce. How do i back out of it? My husband will probably refile the divorce but it would then be on him not me. Is it possible to stop the divorce?? Please help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
there is no reason for your husband to refile. he would have to consent to a dismissal. should you file one. no matter what, if he wants the divorce, he can and SHOULD continue the divorce.

mistoffolees

there is no reason for your husband to refile. he would have to consent to a dismissal. should you file one. no matter what, if he wants the divorce, he can and SHOULD continue the divorce.
I think you're missing the point. OP WANTS to stop the divorce and let her ex be responsible for it (for religious reasons).

That is certainly possible. She can withdraw her petition and her husband would have to re-file. HOWEVER, it's not going to stop anything and will simply drive up their costs a lot and lengthen the process.

Of course, I don't think God is fooled by the little game of stopping the process and letting stbx be the bad guy, but maybe that's just me.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Isis are you sure about that for Texas? Because in some states you do NOT need the other side to consent to you withdrawing a complaint or filing a dismissal.

Tex78704

Unless the husband's attorney counter-sued for divorce in response to her suit, she can withdraw her complaint and request dismissal. If he did counter-sue, she will need her husband's consent to dismiss.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">