• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing help - No kids, no shared property, fully consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cstevens10

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hello - I need help figuring out what to do as the next step in the divorce process. My husband and 100% agree on all issues regarding our divorce. We are currently separated, have all property and debts divided, have no children...all very cut and dry...just need the court to say we are divorced. So we decided to file w/o an attorney. I researched it and got a book "how to file for divorce in Michigan". It describes a process called consent divorce which is what we attempted to do. However, when I went to file explaining it was a consent divorce, they made me fill out a summons and have him served, which I understand as being an uncontested divorce. He has been served now and we are still within the 21 day window. I just need to figure out what steps I need to take next to make this as simple as possible. If we can avoid a court date even better. We have a completed Settlement Agreement, should I file that? If I do, do we still need a court date? According to the process for uncontested, if he doesn't respond w/in the 21 days (which he won't) - then I am supposed to file a Default Application. Because he was served and I am representing myself as the plantiff do I HAVE to file this? I'm confused between consent vs. uncontested. I just want to know what to do next to make this as simple as possible.

Help! Which process should I follow to make this as painless and easy as possible?? What are my next steps? Thank you so much for your assistance...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">