• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing a Separation (NY)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kheryl

What is the name of your state?NY

My estranged husband is a divorce attorney. He drew up separation papers, I made some changes, and gave them back. He signed them, I signed them and returned all 4 copies to him.
He now says that the papers are numbered incorrectly.
I am now concerned that he is going to make changes to the papers, as only the 2nd to last has our signatures on it and the last page is the acknowledgment of the notaries.
When he files the papers, do I have access to the actual documents that he filed?

S

seniorjudge

kheryl said:
What is the name of your state?NY

My estranged husband is a divorce attorney. He drew up separation papers, I made some changes, and gave them back. He signed them, I signed them and returned all 4 copies to him.
He now says that the papers are numbered incorrectly.
I am now concerned that he is going to make changes to the papers, as only the 2nd to last has our signatures on it and the last page is the acknowledgment of the notaries.
When he files the papers, do I have access to the actual documents that he filed?
Yes, you have access to them when he files them in the court.

By that time, it will probably be too late.

Get yourself a lawyer yesterday.

kheryl

Separation (NY)

If he alters the papers, can I bring him before the Ethics Committee? he is well known in our area, I have spoken to 3 attorneys, they will not represent me, because they know him, and don't want to go against him. Any suggestions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">