• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final Decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

williamclay88

What is the name of your state? Texas

Final decree states ex gets the house, deed has both of our names. How can I get my name off the deed as she intends to keep the house. I don
t wanted listed on my credit and I dont want to have to worry about her paying the house bills. Will the Final Decree automatically handle this?

zippysgoddess

Do you have a mortgage on the house? If so, and it is in both of your names, she will have to refinance under her own name. Your divorce decree with not just automatically remove your name from it, or remove your responsibility for the debt.

LdiJ

zippysgoddess said:
Do you have a mortgage on the house? If so, and it is in both of your names, she will have to refinance under her own name. Your divorce decree with not just automatically remove your name from it, or remove your responsibility for the debt.
Its absolutely true that a court order doesn't remove someone's name from a mortgage (only a refi can do that) or automatically remove someone's name from a deed (only a quit claim can do that). Assuming that their agreement/court order addressed those issues if either party doesn't cooperate they can be found in contempt.

Unfortunately, many "do it yourself" orders don't specifically address those issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">