• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FINAL DECREE OF DIVORCE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MICHELLET

in the state of georgia if my ex-husband has agreed to pay a credit card debt does the credit card company have to abide by my final decree and collect from him? they say that they don't and are trying to collect from me. is this true?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

This is very true.

The CC company has their own contract with you and your ex. They are not a party to your Property Settlement Agreement and Order. Your Property Settlement Agreement and Order is only between you and your ex.

All they know, or care about, is that the contract you and your ex signed says that you or your ex will be responsible and liable for the debt.

The CC company can attempt collections from either or both of you. They can sue either or both of you, and your Settlement Agreement and Order is not a defense.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">