• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final Decree not filed yet 8 months later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

betrayed45

What is the name of your state?TEXAS.I was divorced April 6th, 2004. My ex's attorney has YET to file the final decree. Meanwhile, (don't laugh, just call me lucky) my attorney has quit law to become a priest! My ex was suppose to give me a cash settlement 60 days from divorce, plus part of his retirement. I was told I can't enforce this until final decree is filed. Is there a law on timely manner? I cannot afford another attorney, since I had already paid the first one who has left me high and dry. HELP!!!

rmet4nzkx

Did he sell his practice to someone else? I she aware what happened?
Contact your local bar association they may be able to help you.

almost

Sounds a little like my mess. My divorce was supposedly final May 17, but the papers still haven't been filed. The EXs attorney tried to file them, but he had changed things so that they no longer stated what we had agreed to. I am representing myself now, so the other night I looked up my local court's rules. I'm in Tn., and in this court, the papers are suppose to be filed within ten days of the final court date. Don't know if it's the same in Texas. You might try to look online for the rules for your county court house.

LdiJ

betrayed45 said:
What is the name of your state?TEXAS.I was divorced April 6th, 2004. My ex's attorney has YET to file the final decree. Meanwhile, (don't laugh, just call me lucky) my attorney has quit law to become a priest! My ex was suppose to give me a cash settlement 60 days from divorce, plus part of his retirement. I was told I can't enforce this until final decree is filed. Is there a law on timely manner? I cannot afford another attorney, since I had already paid the first one who has left me high and dry. HELP!!!
You almost HAVE to get an attorney to get this finalized. At least get a consult with one. It may not cost as much as you think since its just the finalizing of the divorce that's at issue. The attorney may even agree to take it on contingency since you have a cash settlement pending. At least go talk to one.

skyspirit

betrayed45 said:
Sounds like the situation my b/f is in with his ex. I guess the QUALIFIED DOMESTIC RELATIONS ORDER acts as final papers with his. Took the judge 6 months to file her orders for the order, and by then, had things all screwed up. So its in Appeals Court.

Good Luck.

linsue

Final Decree not Filed

This must be more common than anyone would have thought. I am also in the same situation. Judge ordered ex to obtain life insurance within 10 days.
His attorney objects to some little something everytime my attorney tries to file final papers. My belief is that ex has been unable to obtain insurance due to his health and he knows that if he doesn't obtain the insurance, the judge wants a hearing set for redistribution of assets. I also am not able to get my portion of his retirement until the final papers are signed.

My big fear is that it was mentioned to me that if the papers are not filed in a certain lenght of time, the court dismisses the case. Can't seem to find out what that time limit is and my attorney says he doesn't know anything about a time limit. Does anyone out there have any ideas about this aspect of not having papers filed???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">