• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final divorce decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Deadlunch

What is the name of your state? NY

All other issues, namely child support and custody had already been handled via Family court, but for some reason this individual decided that even though we've been apart for 5 years and we're both involved with other people, that she still wanted to be married to me. So earlier on this year I finally was able to rack up the funds to file for divorce. We went through the process and finally were able to come to a "settlement" (which was hilarious to me since there was nothing to settle). Anyway, it has now been over two months, more like 10 weeks since the divorce has been granted by the judge and still no final divorce decree (we both had counsel). The woman has delayed this proceeding beyond belief (it should have been disposed completely in July...it's November practically) and continues I am sure to do so now. My lawyer said that there is a deadline that this must be submitted and her hands are tied until then. I want to know what can I look forward to if this deadline is reached and no paperwork is filed. Is the deadline usually this long? My lawyer said Nov 30th and the date when the judge disposed it was Aug 18th. SO far I am pleased with my lawyer, but I cannot afford to pay her another cent, and I want to know that with all that she was paid, this is over, and I don't have to now worry about running back to court to have this enforced. Is it possible that my (ex) wife can be penalised for the delays? I wanted to remarry the end of this year, but the way things are going that is not going to happen and I want to know what else I need to prepare for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">