• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final Divorce Procedure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bkautsky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

My husband & I lived in NC and have completely executed a Separation & Property Settlement Agreement with no outstanding issues. I moved to Colorado in March 08 and would like to proceed with the divorce. My NC lawyer said to make sure I filed for an Absolute divorce (NO incorporation). Does this require a lawyer or can I buy forms online and file myself? If it requires a lawyer, what should I expect to pay since all but the very last step is completed?

bkautsky

No children, no alimony, all debts settled, retirement plans divided, real estate settlement complete (he has sole ownership; quit claim filed; new mortgage in his name alone) and paid me the agreed amount. We have completely honored all items in the Separation/Property Agreement. It's just a final decree needed.

Last edited:

LdiJ

No children, no alimony, all debts settled, retirement plans divided, real estate settlement complete (he has sole ownership; quit claim filed; new mortgage in his name alone) and paid me the agreed amount. We have completely honored all items in the Separation/Property Agreement. It's just a final degree needed.
In that case you could probably do it yourself, but it also shouldn't cost much to have your attorney file the necessary paperwork either...and that's generally easier than trying to handle it yourself, long distance.

bkautsky

I wouldn't be filing in NC....you have to be separated at least 1 year AND be a current NC resident during that time. My husband won't spend the $$ to file in NC in March so I'd be filing in CO and I don't have a CO lawyer....I'm afraid that to establish a local lawyer would take $$ for them to review all my papers and verify what I say is true and all I need is the final papers filed (or whatever the proper terminology is). I'm thinking Legalzoom or an equivalent?

bkautsky

Legalzoom says that this is an uncontested divorce and they are willing to give a 100% refund if not accepted by the courts. What am I missing that I would have to start all over again? We live in 2 different states and have no common property nor want any claim to anything of each other's. We get along great (just not together!) and he'll sign off on the divorce request. He just doesn't want to be listed as the one who filed for divorce.

One response in this forum says I should be able to do this myself and one says I have to start from day one. Legalzoom supports the response of doing it without a lawyer. How do I know what answer to trust? My thoughts are spend the $$ with Legalzoom & if I run into problems, I fight to get my $$ back. Please let me know why that's a dumb idea if you truly think so.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">