• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final Judgement Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boomama

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Why is my ex fighting the final judgement, claiming he didn't want it filed until the parenting plan was finalized? My lawyer said that didn't matter, and we are also going to have to file a motion because he violated our mediation agreement by selling something I was supposed to get. Is he just trying to delay? I don't understand the legal reason for doing so...

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Why is my ex fighting the final judgement, claiming he didn't want it filed until the parenting plan was finalized? My lawyer said that didn't matter, and we are also going to have to file a motion because he violated our mediation agreement by selling something I was supposed to get. Is he just trying to delay? I don't understand the legal reason for doing so...
Well, generally that would indicate a concern that if the parenting plan wasn't finalized at the same time as the divorce, that it could delay the parenting plan getting finalized...ie, no more urgency to get the parenting plan finalized. I would tend to not want to finalize a divorce myself until the parenting plan was finalized.

boomama

Well, generally that would indicate a concern that if the parenting plan wasn't finalized at the same time as the divorce, that it could delay the parenting plan getting finalized...ie, no more urgency to get the parenting plan finalized. I would tend to not want to finalize a divorce myself until the parenting plan was finalized.
I am wondering if this could be more about fees? Our mediation agreement says we are both responsible for attorney fees for the divorce. He had some moral issue with paying for my fees (even though I was and still am a SAHM until I find a job), so instead of saying he had to pay for my fees he increased my alimony. Since mediation, he has started all sorts of problems and I have racked up crazy fees. He also violated the mediation agreement be selling some things I was supposed to get, and has refused to reimburse me (furniture). I have to file a motion to resolve this, and we still have not agreed on the parenting plan. I need him to pay for my fees at this point, I am still paying off the people I loaned money from to get me this far and it is nearly impossible to get on my feet with all of the stunts he is pulling. In mediation we agreed on the basics of the PP, as far as he gets our son every other weekend and Wednesdays, so I don't think that is the urgency... all this being said, does submitting the final judgement make him more likely to have to cover my fees? He makes 6 figures and I am not currently working...

Silverplum

I am wondering if this could be more about fees? Our mediation agreement says we are both responsible for attorney fees for the divorce. He had some moral issue with paying for my fees (even though I was and still am a SAHM until I find a job), so instead of saying he had to pay for my fees he increased my alimony. Since mediation, he has started all sorts of problems and I have racked up crazy fees. He also violated the mediation agreement be selling some things I was supposed to get, and has refused to reimburse me (furniture). I have to file a motion to resolve this, and we still have not agreed on the parenting plan. I need him to pay for my fees at this point, I am still paying off the people I loaned money from to get me this far and it is nearly impossible to get on my feet with all of the stunts he is pulling. In mediation we agreed on the basics of the PP, as far as he gets our son every other weekend and Wednesdays, so I don't think that is the urgency... all this being said, does submitting the final judgement make him more likely to have to cover my fees? He makes 6 figures and I am not currently working...
Sometimes, an objection to an incomplete parenting plan is just an objection to an incomplete parenting plan.

Instead of delving into the possibilities you don't know, finalize the parenting plan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">