• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finalize CA divorce - spouse dragging feet?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alandr

I have been going through a divorce for about a year and half now and am getting tired of my spouse dragging her feet in finalizing it. I am the respondent in the case and do have an attorney that has helped me get where I am now, but at a tremendous (for me) expense. I believe everything has pretty much been settled over time, but my spouse has not returned a draft MSA in the agreed time frame (according to our last settled stipulation). It seems as if there really isn't any teeth in the stipulation at least for returning a draft MSA, so what can I do? I don't understand how the divorce process works - I'm under the impression that there is some kind of date set by the court when the process will be considered over if not settled sooner.

I am curious if I can force the divorce to be finalized on my own without even more expense, trial, etc. with my lawyer - is this possible and how would I go about this? My goal is to get it over with as soon as reasonably possible while minimizing any further lawyer expenses. On the other side, I don't want to jeopardize the progress I've made this far. If there is some kind of sunset date I don't mind waiting for that to happen, assuming my spouse doesn't withdraw her petition.

Any advice/direction appreciated!

LdiJ

I have been going through a divorce for about a year and half now and am getting tired of my spouse dragging her feet in finalizing it. I am the respondent in the case and do have an attorney that has helped me get where I am now, but at a tremendous (for me) expense. I believe everything has pretty much been settled over time, but my spouse has not returned a draft MSA in the agreed time frame (according to our last settled stipulation). It seems as if there really isn't any teeth in the stipulation at least for returning a draft MSA, so what can I do? I don't understand how the divorce process works - I'm under the impression that there is some kind of date set by the court when the process will be considered over if not settled sooner.

I am curious if I can force the divorce to be finalized on my own without even more expense, trial, etc. with my lawyer - is this possible and how would I go about this? My goal is to get it over with as soon as reasonably possible while minimizing any further lawyer expenses. On the other side, I don't want to jeopardize the progress I've made this far. If there is some kind of sunset date I don't mind waiting for that to happen, assuming my spouse doesn't withdraw her petition.

Any advice/direction appreciated!
Either there has to be an agreement in order for the divorce to be finalized, or there has to be a court hearing for the judge to decide. Have you tried talking to your spouse?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">