• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

finallyatpeace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

finallyatpeace

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Minnesota
For peace sake, I have left my wife in Minnesota and I am now in Ca.
She is in the process of selling our home there in Mn. She is selling it without my signature through court, claiming that she cannot contact me.(LIE!) Whatever monies are lost is worth it to be free from her, but I don't want to be stuck with any taxes or any other obligations. She is also filing for a legal separation. How can I protect myself ?

nextwife

If you are legal part owner, you are entitled to your share of proceeds, unless there is a CO to the contrary. If there may be some unpayed bills for which you are liable, you should make sure you get your share to cover these.

Very simply, she cannot seel without dealing with your interest. The title company handling it will need your signature on the deed (or your POAs signature). You can find the listing online (try the listing comapny website OR Realtor.com), write to the RE company, advising them what address the title company can contact you for document signatures on the closing papers.

LdiJ

nextwife said:
If you are legal part owner, you are entitled to your share of proceeds, unless there is a CO to the contrary. If there may be some unpayed bills for which you are liable, you should make sure you get your share to cover these.

Very simply, she cannot seel without dealing with your interest. The title company handling it will need your signature on the deed (or your POAs signature). You can find the listing online (try the listing comapny website OR Realtor.com), write to the RE company, advising them what address the title company can contact you for document signatures on the closing papers.
Its sounds to me like he is saying that the court is involved in this sale. Therefore it may be possible that it can be done without his signature. Whether or not that is possible depends on MN law.

I do think that he needs to get copies of the court records to see exactly what is happening/has happened.

nextwife

If she has pursued a "quiet title action" he should contact the courts and contest the assertion that he can't be found and note that he is agreeable to selling the proprty, in exchange for whatever his determined share of equity may be..

Poster, what else are you asking?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">