• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial Affadavit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

darius24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I got a divorce last May of 08 in Florida and when we filled out the financial affadavit I agreed to pay half of our second mortgage each month. My job has changed and I was wondering what happens if I cant afford to pay him the amount we agreed on?

mistoffolees

I got a divorce last May of 08 in Florida and when we filled out the financial affadavit I agreed to pay half of our second mortgage each month. My job has changed and I was wondering what happens if I cant afford to pay him the amount we agreed on?
He can take you to court and have you forced to pay. If you can't afford to, your assets could be seized. In theory, you could end up in jail.

You are obligated to pay unless your agreement says that you only have to pay as long as you keep the job you had then (which is extremely unlikely).

Gracie3787

Did you have an involuntary reduction in income that you can prove in court?

If so, you can file for a modification of the order, it may be only a temporary modification, but it's worth a try.

Get a quick consult with an attorney though just to make sure that filing is the best thing to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">