• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial responsibility before divorce is final

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kowen98

I have told my wife a divorce is emminent, but she has started making large purchases including a new car and clothes on her own accounts. She says she won't hold me responsible, but I'm nervous since I have not gotten a lawyer yet and have started no filings. How can I quickly become officially not responsible for her new debt before I file for divorce?

Thanks,

[email protected]

D

dorenephilpot

If you want to protect yourself, you need to file for divorce sooner rather than later.

Anything purchased during the marriage might be considered joint debt.

Now, if you can make it obvious to the court that she never spent any money in the past but that once she heard the words divorce that she went on a spending spree and that she will be keeping the items at issue (such as the car), then generally the court would hear you out as far as who should be responsible for what.

But to protect your interests more thoroughly, you'd better get that petition filed....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">