• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial responsibility during a divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angeldaze66

What is the name of your state?
California

I filed for a legal separation from my ex husband in 1997, I filed for divorce in December of 2000, our divorce was final on June 22,2001. He took out a loan in January 2001, now they are coming after me to pay it, am I responsible for it? What can they do to me?

Zephyr

angeldaze66 said:
What is the name of your state?
California

I filed for a legal separation from my ex husband in 1997, I filed for divorce in December of 2000, our divorce was final on June 22,2001. He took out a loan in January 2001, now they are coming after me to pay it, am I responsible for it? What can they do to me?

did you sign for it? did he sign your name for it? were you LEGALLY seperated at time of loan? was it included in your divorce settlement?

angeldaze66

WANNACRY said:
did you sign for it? did he sign your name for it? were you LEGALLY seperated at time of loan? was it included in your divorce settlement?
No I did not sign the loan document and he did not sign my name on it , yes we were legally separated, it was not included in the divorce settlement, I paid off all of the other debts though, in return for getting the house. The divorce papers specifically said not to incur debt in the others name, but the loan wasn't in my name , just his.

Last edited:

LdiJ

angeldaze66 said:
No I did not sign the loan document and he did not sign my name on it , yes we were legally separated, it was not included in the divorce settlement, I paid off all of the other debts though, in return for getting the house. The divorce papers specifically said not to incur debt in the others name, but the loan wasn't in my name , just his.
If you were legally separated, and your name was not on the loan, then I don't see how they can go after you for it. However, if the amount of money is substantial, it would probably be in your best interest to consult a local attorney. It may take a letter from an attorney to get them to back off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">