• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finding assets for a divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sinvicta

What is the name of your state? NY, Quebec (Canada), France

I'm trying to find assets that I think are being hidden from the family court judge. Its a little complicated, since the ex is originally from France, lived in New York for a while, and is currently living in Quebec (Canada).

I am sure he is hiding because he has a six figure salary all to himself, yet somehow has only 1500$ in savings and assets. Also, a friend of mine at Customs told me that he was transferring large sums of money between the US, Canada and France. He couldn't tell me more though without risking his job.

My question is, how do I go about finding the bank accounts I know he is hiding? Keep in mind that this is across 3 countries, and that private detectives don't work internationally.

Thanks for any advice!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? NY, Quebec (Canada), France

I'm trying to find assets that I think are being hidden from the family court judge. Its a little complicated, since the ex is originally from France, lived in New York for a while, and is currently living in Quebec (Canada).

I am sure he is hiding because he has a six figure salary all to himself, yet somehow has only 1500$ in savings and assets. Also, a friend of mine at Customs told me that he was transferring large sums of money between the US, Canada and France. He couldn't tell me more though without risking his job.

My question is, how do I go about finding the bank accounts I know he is hiding? Keep in mind that this is across 3 countries, and that private detectives don't work internationally.

Thanks for any advice!
Some private detectives do work internationally, and those that do not, generally can subcontract to another private detective in another country.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hiring a PI to help find assets hidden in another country has nothing to do with "law".

This is a US divorce case, therefore subject to US law.

How do you know this is a US divorce case? I don't see anywhere where the poster states the divorce was filed in NY. I see where the spouse lived in NY at one time. But that doesn't mean the divorce was filed here. More information is necessary. Having property here is not the same as filing here. US laws MAY NOT apply.

LdiJ

How do you know this is a US divorce case? I don't see anywhere where the poster states the divorce was filed in NY. I see where the spouse lived in NY at one time. But that doesn't mean the divorce was filed here. More information is necessary. Having property here is not the same as filing here. US laws MAY NOT apply.
Ok...point taken. I was under the impression that it had been filed in NY.

Sinvicta

A little more info...

To clear a few things up...

- I am actually the eldest (adult) child in the family. I am involved because while he was enjoying a 6 figure salary for himself, I was starving (literally: while most people gain the 'freshman 15' in college , I lost 20 pounds and regularly went hungry despite loans and working full time)

- The divorce is being filed in Quebec (Canada). Canadian laws are very similar to US laws (but without a no-fault clause...evil grin...)

- We have considered hiring a PI, but the cheapest quote we've gotten is 10K, which we can't afford (remember...this is over 3 countries) .

- I was/am hoping for information on how to track down assets by ourselves (especially in the US). I don't care about the methods, as long as they aren't outright illegal. Despicable is ok, illegal is not.

Bali Hai

- I am actually the eldest (adult) child in the family. I am involved because while he was enjoying a 6 figure salary for himself, I was starving (literally: while most people gain the 'freshman 15' in college , I lost 20 pounds and regularly went hungry despite loans and working full time)

- The divorce is being filed in Quebec (Canada). Canadian laws are very similar to US laws (but without a no-fault clause...evil grin...)

- We have considered hiring a PI, but the cheapest quote we've gotten is 10K, which we can't afford (remember...this is over 3 countries) .

- I was/am hoping for information on how to track down assets by ourselves (especially in the US). I don't care about the methods, as long as they aren't outright illegal. Despicable is ok, illegal is not.
Have you thought about just asking him if there are any hidden assets?

Sinvicta

I have asked him. But according to him, he is a poor suffering soul, his wife 'stole' his children, he doesn't have any money to spare....etc....

nextwife

Just an FYI: In the US, at least, there are NO states that require parents in an intact marriage to support their children after HS graduation, or age 18, nor pay for their college.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">