• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Firing your Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Hmgill

Heres my delima:

I've hired an attorney to complete my contested divorce, we have been seen by the judge, he has given his decision and asked my attorney to complete the order. (Im not receiving any type of support and my soon to be ex husband is not taking the court recommened therapy before he can see our child and contiunes to see her). 3 Months have now gone by and since I still owe my attorney money, she is refussing to complete the order. Question 1: is this legal, can she hold my divorce hostage and Question 2: can i fire her over this and have my soon to be ex-husbands attorney complete the paper work. Thanks for your advice. I'm in Florida.

D

dorenephilpot

Yes. You can always fire your attorney.

All you have to do is say, "You're fired," and ask for a copy of your file, which the attorney is required to give to you in a timely fashion.

That doesn't erase your bill to your attorney for services already rendered, but that's a different problem.

Then either you or your ex's attorney, if he or she is still on board, could prepare the decree for submission to the court.

If neither of you end up with an attorney, then you'll get to experience the wonder of educating yourself on preparation of a divorce decree, taking into account the state statutes, local rules and whims of the court.

And all of that exciting legal work can be done at no out-of-pocket cost to you -- and no waste of time for the attorney who you wanted to work for you but whom you didn't want to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">