• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Step

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamesnjo10

What is the name of your state? Washington

I am seeking advice for my son. His wife left him on December 22nd and is staying with her mother. The reasons she gives for leaving are indistinct and confused and at this time her mood and rationality vary from day to day. But as time goes by it gets more clear that she does not intend to go back to him. They're very young. There's a child; a five month old boy. She has made comments to my son that if she decides to divorce she'll request 100% custody. My son doesn't want a divorce. He believes she is going through a temporary psychological crises (she's taking prescribed anti-depressants) and that in time the crises will pass. But in the mean time he's worried that she might take legal action. He is also worried about the welfare of the child due to the fact that the living conditions at his wife's mother's home is unstable. The mother-in-law has a drinking problem and is also currently under threat of eviction. He is also concerned that money he's given to them for support of his child is going for other things. My question is whether my son need take any kind of preemptory legal action in order to keep from losing custody of his son or to position himself better in the event of a court battle. I've heard that the first to file for divorce is in the weaker position. Is that true? And if it is true does that also pertain to custody issues?

S

seniorjudge

Your daughter-in-law is having an affair.

Have your son file for divorce.

Make sure he has the kid when he files.

Have him get a lawyer asap.

jamesnjo10

I'm nonplussed by this brief reply. You evidently have a crystal ball sitting on the shelf next to your legal volumes. :p

In any event I believe you're urging urgency. If that's the case I thank you for your swift kick towards our butts.

I do hope that you, or someone, could offer a more pointed answer to the specific questions I asked. That I had heard that the first to file for divorce is in the weaker position. And whether there is truth to that? And if it is true does that also pertain to custody issues?

Btw, perhaps the presumption of infidelity is s.o.p. in these matters. Is that what you meant?

S

seniorjudge

That I had heard that the first to file for divorce is in the weaker position. And whether there is truth to that?
No

And if it is true does that also pertain to custody issues?
In some states, the person who files, if that person has the kids, keeps the kids till the court says otherwise.

Btw, perhaps the presumption of infidelity is s.o.p. in these matters. Is that what you meant?
Handling divorces for decades has taught me that. The behavior you outlined indicates she's fooling around; your son doesn't want to believe it. Old story; these things run in patterns. It's human nature.

jamesnjo10

Thank you for clarifying.

I guess you really do have a crystal ball, one gained through your experiences near to human folly. :(

USMOM

no fault state

In most cases a spouse having an affair is an issue that the courts take little interest in. Washington is a no fault state. The only grounds for divorce are irreconcilable differences. [Revised Code of Washington Annotated; Title 26, Chapter 26.09.03]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">