• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justwrong77

What is the name of your state? Iowa
I need some advice people - please!
I got married 10 months ago (foregin country -Europe), My wife got here in november 06 on green card (got married to US citizen). I signed Afftidavit of support in US embasy and did all the papework there. Since begining we got little disaggrements and I tought we can work it out, but she talks (problems) to everybody else but me. I tried to reason with her and I gave her all freedom and indipendence ( separate acount, got her a car, inshurances etc etc.). Her green card expires next year in november and i just wonder what my oblligations would be in case of the divorce? We got no kids, house is on my name and i make twice as she does. If I can give any more details let me know?
Anybody out there?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Iowa
I need some advice people - please!
I got married 10 months ago (foregin country -Europe), My wife got here in november 06 on green card (got married to US citizen). I signed Afftidavit of support in US embasy and did all the papework there. Since begining we got little disaggrements and I tought we can work it out, but she talks (problems) to everybody else but me. I tried to reason with her and I gave her all freedom and indipendence ( separate acount, got her a car, inshurances etc etc.). Her green card expires next year in november and i just wonder what my oblligations would be in case of the divorce? We got no kids, house is on my name and i make twice as she does. If I can give any more details let me know?
Anybody out there?
What are you worried about? The affidavit of support or stopping her from getting a permanent green card?

Your marriage is short term so in the normal course of things there would be no alimony or spousal support, and you would divide assets and debts that accrued during the marriage (which might be very little).

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What are you worried about? The affidavit of support or stopping her from getting a permanent green card?

Your marriage is short term so in the normal course of things there would be no alimony or spousal support, and you would divide assets and debts that accrued during the marriage (which might be very little).
Because of the affidavit of support that he signed however he will be responsible to support her until she either leaves the country or gets her green card permanently. Family court cannot overrule federal law.

justwrong77

yes

she got her green card which expires next year (nov. 2008 ),got a job also she is not giving any money for bills. I know that signing Afftidavit of support I have to suport her. Since her green card expires next year should I wait untill then or I should conntact INS and not sign any more papework for her staying here?
Would INS found me responsiblle for her geting citizenship or of her future staying here?

P.S. Realizing that she is not here becouse of me but for her geting papers is not easy,

LdiJ

she got her green card which expires next year (nov. 2008 ),got a job also she is not giving any money for bills. I know that signing Afftidavit of support I have to suport her. Since her green card expires next year should I wait untill then or I should conntact INS and not sign any more papework for her staying here?
Would INS found me responsiblle for her geting citizenship or of her future staying here?

P.S. Realizing that she is not here becouse of me but for her geting papers is not easy,
Those are all very personal choices that you have to decide for yourself.

First you should be certain that your assumptions are correct, and that your marriage is unfixable. Then you decide what you want to do.

Although you signed the affidavit of support, if she is supporting herself or can support herself on her earnings, then you don't have alot of liability risk there if the two of you separate. The biggest risk would be potential health or liability issues. You want to make sure that she has proper health and car insurance.

justwrong77

She got inshurances throu me but if she is not helping with rest of bills can I stop paying for health inshurance in particular (would save couple hundred a month) or just tel her that she got to get it in her company?

Also is it a good idea to just wait untill she got to fill up papework for citizenship and I do not sign any more Imigration forms for her staying here?

Does anybody had same issue with foregien national where Imigration was actualy help the situation ( divorce)?

LdiJ

She got inshurances throu me but if she is not helping with rest of bills can I stop paying for health inshurance in particular (would save couple hundred a month) or just tel her that she got to get it in her company?

Also is it a good idea to just wait untill she got to fill up papework for citizenship and I do not sign any more Imigration forms for her staying here?

Does anybody had same issue with foregien national where Imigration was actualy help the situation ( divorce)?
It would be a HUGE mistake to stop providing health or car insurance while you are still married. Even if she wasn't a foreign national that would put you at huge risk. Do NOT do that unless you are certain that she is covered under other insurance. In a divorce proceeding you are actually not allowed to cancel insurance until the divorce is final.

As far as immigration paperwork is concerned, again, that is a very personal decision.

justwrong77

but is is my decision ?

For her to get her papers to stay here (geting citizenship and prolonging her stay here)
is depending on me - right?

If I do not help her with any more paperwork she cannot stay here?

I wont feel guilty to make that decision, so personaly I do not care about that anymore.

Bali Hai

For her to get her papers to stay here (geting citizenship and prolonging her stay here)
is depending on me - right?

If I do not help her with any more paperwork she cannot stay here?

I wont feel guilty to make that decision, so personaly I do not care about that anymore.
You can't stop her from getting her permanent green card. She doesn't need you for anything regarding that and she can fill out her own I-751.

Even if you divorce her prior to her getting her green card, the INS would very likely grant her a green card anyway.

There doesn't appear to be any fraud on her part. Her talking to other people about your relationship problems is why you have a bug up your @ss and that doesn't constitute fraud.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">