• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In a fix.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bolloxed

What is the name of your state? New Jersey.

Hi, I'm really in a fix and I'd appreciate any advice,

I came to the US from the UK October 2006 on a k1 fiance visa to marry my wife with whom I had been in a long distance relationship for a couple of years.
We married in January in Vegas. I'm not going into details and I'm not looking for any moral judgement, there has been violence, verbal abuse and destruction of property on both sides but overwhelmingly with my wife against me with a ratio of about 9/1.
I have left three times and have called the police 8 times, each time she cries domestic abuse and the last time i was actually taken to the police station, the police said they could see what was going on and persuaded the prosecutor not to press charges.
I left last Monday, it was the two week anniversary of us moving into out new house, the house was in both our names but I paid for it with money i made selling my home in London. I dropped 565,000 on this house, there is a rental apartment that covers the mortgage and taxes.
I am now out of my home which my wife is occupying, I am living out of bag and have about $2000 left to my name. There is no court order of any kind. My wife is six months pregnant, she came off of anti-depressant medication because of this which had only just been doubled. The last time I left she begged me to come back which i agreed to if she sought help, she went to anger management sessions maybe 3 times. We also, at my insistence, went to couples counseling. The counselor ended up not having us back due to my wife's behaviour (I think she has a behavioural disorder but I don't think that is relevant here).
I'm rambling a bit so I will summarize. I am homeless and almost destitute in a foreign country. My wife is occupying the house I bought and threatening to destroy my property, I have no way of checking whether she is. I have little money and am not yet authorized to work.
Is there anything i can do about this?
Can I take possession of our house?
I don't want to divorce her but is there any sort of initial step I can take towards to divorce that might spur her into calming down and getting help?

Thanks in advance,

Bolloxed.

CJane

Is there anything i can do about this?
Can I take possession of our house?
I don't want to divorce her but is there any sort of initial step I can take towards to divorce that might spur her into calming down and getting help?

Thanks in advance,

Bolloxed.
Move back in.

If you truly believe she's a danger to you, file for a restraining order and have HER removed from the residence.

The residence is community property, regardless of whose money paid for it. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

Have you considered moving into the apartment until you can sort out your relationship?

Bolloxed

I thought about it as a long term solution, with the child on the way and everything, but currently the rental income from the apt is almost paying the mortgage and property taxes.
As I said I have no income and my wife works for a non-profit so its not feasible.
What evidence would I need for a restraining order?

Thank you so much for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">