• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida Property/Financial Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angiemsoto

What is the name of your state? Florida
I have just found out that my husband of 3 1/2 years has been having an affair with his ex-wife and am seeking a divorce. I know that FL is a "no fault" state therefore I have a few questions re: property and bank accounts.
1. I live in my husband's home (sold mine last year) which is in his name only. We did however take out a joint home equity loan in 2001 in which I have been paying half of the payment each month. Do I have any claims to equity in the home, money paid into the home, etc?
2. My husband and I had a joint savings account which consisted of money from the equity loan, personal contributions and money that he had inherited from the sale of a house in Puerto Rico. In January of this year he realized that I had found out about the ex-wife and took my name off of the account and transferred money to other accounts without my knowledge. What responsibility does he have to me re: this money during the divorce? (did I mention that this joint account was also the account he used to pay for his girlfriend's cable installation, service, etc.?!!!)
I am terrified of what is going to happen to me in all of this and would appreciate any advice that you may have as to my rights.
Thank You

H

hexeliebe

Go see an attorney first thing tomorrow morning. You may not be able to do anything about the home because you are on the note, not the deed and so you will be paying for HIS home, but your attorney may be able to freeze the accounts or ask for a conservator.

In any event, if you do not speak with a divorce attorney soon, you may be asking "Where did all the money go?"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">