• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forced to file a restraining order?? please help..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dangergirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I just went to the courthouse to file for divorce.

It should be a simple case. We have been separated for 3 years, living in different countries than one another the whole time. There is no property to split, and no children. He's signed the papers, it's really as agreeable as a divorce could get.

The clerk informed me that the judge assigned to my case requires that a restraining order be served on him. I informed the clerk that there was none needed, the main reason being that he is 6000 miles away.

Not only will this cost me huge sums of money to serve him papers, I really don't think its fair that a restraining order will be on his record, for no reason.

To top it off, he's just left England for month long Australian holiday.

What should I do?

Has anyone ever heard of something like this???

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The restraining order is probably a mutual restraining order to prohibit dissipation of marital assets. You need to be sure of what it is you are required to serve.

mistoffolees

The restraining order is probably a mutual restraining order to prohibit dissipation of marital assets. You need to be sure of what it is you are required to serve.
Just to clarify, if this is what the judge is talking about, it's routine and does not reflect on either party. There will be no stain on his record because of it.

And it won't cost any extra money because you have to serve him with the divorce papers, anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">