• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forcing to incur loss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TonyD26

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Illinois and I am having an issue with an ex fiance of mine. We are not legally married but we do own a home together.

We haven't owned the home very long, just a little over a year, but unfortunately things fell apart and we have broken up. My issue is that she is not willing to agree to sell the house unless I sign a legal document that says that if we incur any financial loss on the house I would be fully responsible for it.

I do not wish to sign this document seeing as how we are both on the title of the home, and that we both should be responsible if any loss is obtained. But again, she will not agree to sell unless I do and I need her signature in order to move forward with putting the house on the market. What legal rights do I have here and what actions could I take in order to resolve somthing like this?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Illinois and I am having an issue with an ex fiance of mine. We are not legally married but we do own a home together.

We haven't owned the home very long, just a little over a year, but unfortunately things fell apart and we have broken up. My issue is that she is not willing to agree to sell the house unless I sign a legal document that says that if we incur any financial loss on the house I would be fully responsible for it.

I do not wish to sign this document seeing as how we are both on the title of the home, and that we both should be responsible if any loss is obtained. But again, she will not agree to sell unless I do and I need her signature in order to move forward with putting the house on the market. What legal rights do I have here and what actions could I take in order to resolve somthing like this?
You would have to file a partition suit. However, honestly the cost of filing that suit may be quite a bit greater than the shortfall that you might incur.

Who is living in the house now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">