• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forfeit property rights by separating?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

neeroc

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Connecticut

Hello. First off...GREAT SITE!!! Love it! :)

After 10 years of marriage, I have decided I want to divorce my husband. We bought a house 5-1/2 years ago and have recently put in on the market. I can't stand to live with him anymore and want to separate before the house is sold. Am I forfeiting any rights by leaving? I intend to pay half of the bills just as I have been. Do I need to make any special arrangements or take any precautions when it comes to paying these bills? Are cancelled checks proof enough? Does it even matter?

Thank you in advance.

brisgirl825

A judge will most likely order that any profit from the house be split evenly. When paying the bills, I'd ask for receipts and write any additional info in the memo of your checks, just in case.

LdiJ

neeroc said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Connecticut

Hello. First off...GREAT SITE!!! Love it! :)

After 10 years of marriage, I have decided I want to divorce my husband. We bought a house 5-1/2 years ago and have recently put in on the market. I can't stand to live with him anymore and want to separate before the house is sold. Am I forfeiting any rights by leaving? I intend to pay half of the bills just as I have been. Do I need to make any special arrangements or take any precautions when it comes to paying these bills? Are cancelled checks proof enough? Does it even matter?

Thank you in advance.
No, you aren't forfeiting anything by leaving. Cancelled checks are adequate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">