• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LeeLee11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My wife of ten years currently going through a divorce and I found out she has a home loan in my name through boa that i had no knowledge of and have the documents that show she signed my name without my knowledge. How can I go about showing I was unaware of this loan being made during our marriage and what can happen to get this out of my name?

mistoffolees

My wife of ten years currently going through a divorce and I found out she has a home loan in my name through boa that i had no knowledge of and have the documents that show she signed my name without my knowledge. How can I go about showing I was unaware of this loan being made during our marriage and what can happen to get this out of my name?
You have a number of options.

1. Contact BOA with the loan number and tell them that it has come to your attention that someone fraudulently signed your name for a loan and you would like to have your name removed.

2. Call the police and/or DA to report identify theft.

3. Have your attorney notify the judge of the issue during the divorce proceedings. This will have the side effect of getting your judge very p.o'd at the other person.

LdiJ

How could she get a home loan, of any kind, without you being there and present and showing your ID at closing? Can anyone here imagine any way that could be done?

mistoffolees

How could she get a home loan, of any kind, without you being there and present and showing your ID at closing? Can anyone here imagine any way that could be done?
Someone would obviously have dropped the ball, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have happened.

I answered on the basis that OP's post was true. Obviously, if we assume that people are lying, there's no point responding to anything.

nextwife

Some goofball dot com mortgage companies were mailing docs to the borrowers to get signed themselves in front of a notary and send back. She could have forged the notarization.

Golfball

It would be pretty easy to convincingly forge a notarization especially if the documents were electronically or telephonically sent to the borrower, one could do it with photoshop and a scanner. ETA: This sort of forgery would lack the embossed seal, but it could still be construed as valid by appropriate authorities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">