• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jamj2

When the IRS recently sent out "tax rebates", the rebate for me and my then wife went to her address. I kept in contact with her, so we could split the $600 refund once she recieved it. After contacting her numerous times and her telling me she had still not recieved it, I contacted the IRS. They informed me that they had sent the refund to her in September, and mailed me proof that it had already been cashed. The check was made out to both of us, and on the back were two signatures. One of the signatures was hers, and the other was some scribble that was supposedly my signature. Yet, I hade never seen the refund less signed it. I have confronted her about this, but have recieved no resolution to the problem. She recieved the refund before our divorce became final, and the IRS says that they are not involved. Both of us reside in California. What can I do to get my half of the refund from her?

vrzirn

Nothing. You can try but whatever you try will cost you a lot more in time, costs, grief than $300.The cahsing bank will not give you relief, you cannot sue her, she will claim it was a gift. Forget it.
However, if you still have assets you are dividing you might debit her side for the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">